30 Rock - Feb 10, 2011 [OPEN SPOILERS]

Liz and Carol are over?! Really?! That kind of sucks… they were so good together! Stupid double edged sword! I know it’s not comedy unless Liz is single and has endures zany mishaps but there are so many things they could have explored!

I looooved Jack and Avery’s refusal to have a Canadian daughter. Hilarious parody of rampant American patriotism! Plus, the whole cliche sitcom birth without being too cliche!

I think this was the funniest episode this season.

I’m really bummed that Liz and Carol are over. Every time Matt Damon showed up, it made me happy.

Jack and Avery should know that having their baby born outside the United States does not make her ineligible to be President.

“If only she’d been born in Kenya we’d be fine!” :smiley:

was it me or did the plane plot seem to be superficially Egypt related? I don’t think it was meant to be, just an odd coincidence.

I’m sure the episodes are filmed weeks in advance, so any resemblance to current events in Egypt would have to be coincidental.

The similarities to the Egypt situation never even crossed my mind. If it did, Carol aiming the gun and Liz using the old man to defend herself would have been less funny. At any rate, was that a REAL gun? I’m not even allowed a lighter past security, and Liz Lemon’s universe allows guns on planes? Yikes.

Carol took the gun off the Air Marshall.

I loved them using the actual flight attendant from the famous Jet Blue air rage incident as the flight attendant.

Ah, that makes more sense. Guess I believed him when he said he wasn’t an air marshall. :smack:

Later on, when the passengers were in various states of undress because of the stale/warm air, you could see his badge pinned to his chest :D.

But is it true that everyone hates him now?

I’ll have to rewatch for that. This is one of the few lately that’s worth rewatching!

Wait- that was the same flight attendant? I’ll be darned.

Ummmmmmmmm. I don’t think it was. Can anyone substantiate that?

After my Internet sleuthing designed to prove myself correct and skip off into the weekend, I determined that it was not him. Obviously meant to be him, but not the same guy.

It was this guy.
::Slinks off into the weekend instead::

“How far is it to the border?”
“I don’t know! She told me in kilometers!”

That is party of why it is so funny. That and John McCain was born in Panama to American parents.

I loved the opening sequence with the letters. I’m going to start doing that.

That is one weird-ass website. Was is translated into English using Babelfish?

I’ll miss Matt Damon if he’s gone from the show. His character was a little over-the-top in his “Pilots are AWESOME” schtick, but I think he sold it well. And I thought he and Tina Fey played really well off each other in this episode as the tension escalated.

Weird hair, though.

P.S. Funny story. My wife was born in Canada to American parents, so she has an American certificate of birth abroad, which she carries when she travels to Canada because her passport lists her place of birth as Canada. No customs agent on either side has ever batted an eye at this, presumably because they’re trained, except for one who wanted to know when she became an American. “At birth,” she replied. “No you didn’t,” he smugly maintained. “Yes I did. My dad was a US Customs agent working in Canada when I was born, my mom is also American, so that makes me an American.” “No, you had to file a petition to gain US Citizenship. When did you do that?” “I didn’t have to, because I was born an American citizen, just like you.” “No you weren’t,” he insisted, no less smug. She finally rolled her eyes and said, “Whatever you say,” which I thought for sure would trigger some backroom interrogation bullshit, but I guess the triumph was enough for him. Of course, he was wrong, and if you’re born to US Citizens outside of the US you’re a full-fledged American* and can become President.

[sub]Full-fledged in the sense that you’re a dual citizen, but the US doesn’t generally recognize such a distinction. So to the US, my wife is American, and to Canada, she’s a dual Canadian-American citizen.[/sub]

Little-known fact: Americans aren’t fully fledged until they formally declare it “macaroni.”