30 Rock!

I never watched this when it was on-air. I saw the pilot, wasn’t a Tracy Morgan fan (then) and didn’t really like a couple of the other characters.

I’ve watched the first 3 seasons in the past week. Goddamn brilliant. It’s like the MST3K of sitcoms.

What are some of your favorite lines?

I want to go there!

I am am amateur and I have to correct that.

It is - I want to go *to *there. Sorry.

watching now. Jenna Maroney, about climate change - “I once took a low volume shower with Ed Begley, Jr. What more can I do?”

You don’t tell me what kind of pizza to like!

“Tracy, who’s your doctor?”
“Doctor Spaceman!”
<later>
“Hello, this is Doctor Spa-See-Man.”

Tracy: Dr. Spaceman, is it true that bread eats away at your brain?

Dr. Spaceman: We have no way of knowing, because the powerful bread lobby keeps stopping my research!

Tracy: Well folks, bread will never maybe attack your brain again. Because with the Tracy Jordan Meet Machine, say it with me now, meat is the new bread!

30 Rock is without question one of the best TV shows ever made. I rewatch the whole thing every now and then, and it’s always just as good.

Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men
Men becoming wolves!

Kenneth: “I don’t vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord’s name!”

Jack: “That’s Republican, we count those.

Alec Baldwin played Jack so well, he achieved something that doesn’t happen very often. He went from being very famous and established to finding the character we will all remember him for after he was over 40.

He played his Republicanism with such sincerity, it was awesome.

One thing that dates the show is hearing them bemoan George W. Bush and his incompetence. I mean…yes, Bush was very bad in many ways, but with Trump coming along, it almost all seems quaint now.

It’s an important distinction. I use this frequently. I even said this to myself when I found a beautiful planet in No Man’s Sky.

Tina Fey got a lot of her crazier dialog from her then-toddler daughter, Alice. I think “I want to go to there” was hers. I can’t remember any more for sure, but I’m pretty sure the name of Jenna’s “Janis Joplin” tribute character, “Jackie Jormp-Jomp”, and a lot of Tracy Jordan’s dialog is Alice-inspired.

“It’s after six - what am I, a farmer?”

I have found more times to use this than you think should be possible.

I’m more of a 3rd Rock type myself. I just rewatched this about six months ago. If I’d known what was upcoming, I’d’ve waited.

At any rate, it’s available on On Demand for free if anyone hasn’t seen it or hasn’t seen it since the first run.

“Never go with a hippie to a second location.”

It’s amazing how many times I’ve found that bit of advice useful.

"Oh, he’s always been a special boy. I remember the day he was born. He looked up at me and he said ‘Mama, I am not a person. My body’s just a flesh vessel for an immortal being whose name if you heard it would make you lose your mind.’”

Tracy: Bring me a black coffee! That’s Orange Crush for you white folks!

Not a single line, but the Funcooker naming sketch is one of the funniest bits on the show.

You have no reflexes, your blood tastes like root beer, and some of your bones appear to have vanished. Now I’ve only ever seen this kind of thing on dead people in Operation Desert Storm. I actually wrote a report on it but my commander refused to pass it on up to Saddam. Kooky times.

My fave 30 Rock memory

And by the way, like George Costanza, Liz Lemon’s relationship woes are hilariously overstated.

She sleeps with/dates/marries

Jon Hamm
Matt Damon
James Marsden
And the literal James Franco