3Jan03: JRR Tolkien's eleventy-first birthday

Here’s to a thoughtful and a creative mind, one who has fought his own battles and come out victorious. May the blessing of all free folk carry you on your way as we sit down and read your wonderful masterpiece yet again.
Thank you, Professor Tolkien, for giving me a new place to live: Middle Earth!

I never thought I shared a birthday with anyone famous, but now I know that I do. (Er, well, the January 3rd part, not the year. I’m only 22.)

Happy birthday professor.

A slightly belated toast to one whom illuminated much that was fair in the world.
><Clink><

Blackknight Mel Gibson was also born on the 3rd of January.

Here’s to JRRT! We probably don’t know him half as well as we would like, but we LOVE more than half of him just as well as he deserves!

I wore my homemade Lorien leaf pin today in celebration… wee!

(A bit belated. I did do the toast at 9 pm-- i with coffee and my little sister with water. I read my little bro some of the poems out of the Reader, hoping to spread his workds to another generation).

To the Professor, who reminded us of the quiet places in the world, and what we have lost by their passing! drains his glasses and throws it into the fire

I like to think that he’s having a drink at Callahan’s tonight, toasted by all the regulars.

Ah, but if he did that, I wouldn’t have this nice translation of Sir Gawain, The Pearl, and Sir Orfeo that he wrote. Oh well, must take some good with the bad I suppose.

So was Victoria Principal, Stephen Stills, Dabney Coleman, Robert Loggia, Sergio Leone, Victor Borge, and Ray Milland! ;j

And GrandpaSpazCat!

Oh damn, I couldn’t do it. I was away from home, watching (for the 5th time) a young afficianado retelling some Tolkien stories visually, passing down awareness and enthusiasm for the professor’s rich and fascinating world to a new generation.

:: raises glass :: The Professor!

Ditto!

To the contrary, he was completing his editing and writing the foreword to the works of the Pearl poet (the anonymous writer of those three poems and a fourth one I don’t recall) simultaneously with his page-proof work on The Return of the King, so there would have been no interference with that aspect of his academic work.

To the contrary, he was completing his editing and writing the foreword to the works of the Pearl poet (the anonymous writer of those three poems and a fourth one I don’t recall) simultaneously with his page-proof work on The Return of the King, so there would have been no interference with that aspect of his academic work.