4 lb prime rib roast. Now what?

I have this amazing hunk of meat here, and now I need to cook it!

I’ve never done this. Please Help Me!

The meat man said some people put it in a 500 degree oven for an hour, then turn the oven off for an hour. Then put the heat on again for an hour.

How do you control the “rate of doneness”? Man that sounds stupid!

Anyway, please help me not destroy this roast.

I swear this entire board has me on ignore!

My preferred way to cook a prime rib roast on a Weber kettle charcoal grill utilizing indirect heat method.

As for how long per pound - depends on how you like it (rare for me). I would definitely use a meat thermometer for best results.

Here’s a link that may give you some additional ideas.
http://www.tailgatehq.com/recipe.htm

Being a complete newbie to prime rib cooking I’d be afraid to take on the complication of grilling it. But wow does that ever sound good!

Try this recipe:

I make a prime rib roast every year for New Years. A good rule of thumb, if you don’t own a meat thermometer is about 45 minutes per rib at 325. That’s for medium rare in the center to medium on the ends. Also, that’s in an electric oven, so YMMV. Prime Rib will continue cooking when you remove it from the oven.
If you have a meat thermometer, you can guage it a lot better. 140 for rare, 160 for medium.

How to cook a roast:

Pre-heat the oven to 190c

Rub fresh-ground peppercorns, salt and mustard powder generously all over, working into the flesh.

Heat a heavy pan (a frying pan if you’ve got one big enough) on the hob (no oil or anything). When it’s really hot, place the meat on it - you’ll get a wonderful sizzle, and probably some smoke. Turn it every half-minute or so, until all sides have acquired some colour.

Put on a wire grill on top of a pan (so the meat is being cooked by direct heat all round, and so you collect the dripping).

Put in the oven - expect it to be about 2 hours; the shape of the joint affects the speed at which it cooks as much as the overall rate. If you want complete control, get a meat thermometer - these have a long probe which sticks into the centre of the joint, telling you the temp. there, and IIRC 65c gives a rare cut, 75c medium and 85 well-done, but you’ll need to double check that.

Once the cooking is done, remove from the oven, wrap in foil and in a cloth, and leave it to rest: for at least 30 minutes. If you carve without doing this, all the juices flood out and you’re left with dry meat. The resting allows all the hot juices to be reabsorbed by the flesh, so you get a wonderfully juicy, slightly pink meat.

The other advantage of a long resting time is that it provides the opportunity to make Yorkshire Puddings (this was why you were collecting the drippings)…reply if you want that recipe too :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your help!

We’ve decided to save this for Sunday so we can give it the attention it deserves. We’ve also gone out and purchased our very own meat thermometer. I’m 43, but I tell ya that makes me feel very grown up!

This Yorkshire pudding sounds most interesting, meat drippings make me very happy.

I’m not quite awake yet, but I’ll take a shot.

I usually roast the rib for 45 minutes at 450°F, then reduce the heat to 325°F and cook it until the meat thermometer says “rare” or “medium rare”. (I don’t remember which.) As GorillaMan says, you need to let the meat “rest” for half an hour. Actually, it’s still cooking. I’ve found that if I cook it “medium rare”, then by the time it’s done “resting” it’s a little overdone for my taste. So take that into account.

Before roasting, I sprinkle the top with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Then I stab it with a fork. Not just a few stabs, but like Elmer Fudd as he sings Kill the Wabbit to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries.

Yorkshire pudding is basically egg bread. I don’t have my recipe handy; but it’s basically flour, milk, and an egg.

I must be doing something right; because everyone who has tried it, likes my roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

Yorkshire Puddings:

As mentioned, it’s a basic batter - identical to that for pancakes. Make it a couple of hours in advance - it needs to settle and to let the bubbles escape. You’ll need a tray with individual compartments (I’m guessing they’d be called muffin trays in America, which is where I’m guessing you’re from?). Put a little beef dripping in each one - add lard or vegetable oil (not olive oil) if necessary.

Once the meat is out of the oven, turn it up to maximum, and put the trays in. Once they’ve had a few minutes to get really hot, half-fill each with batter. They should sizzle immediately - if they don’t, there’s not enough heat. Put immediately back in the oven, and don’t open the door for at least 20 mins. They should rise up into big crusty golden things, perfect with loads of gravy.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :slight_smile:

This is a preferred method in my home, also! I don’t sing out loud, but I do hum as I stab.

FB