Prime rib / standing rib roast cooking.

And yes, I need an answer fairly soon.

Last week, I wanted to cook a three-rib roast to rare. So, it goes in the oven at 325 for about an hour and 45 minutes until the thermometer hit 115. This should be blue rare, if not still able to moo. By the time it had rested and been sliced, there was maybe a nickel sized dot of medium rare surrounded by tragedy. Still tasty, but dead gray-brown well. :frowning:

M best guess is that either 20-30 minutes is too long to rest, :dubious: or the oven was hotter than advertised. I was in someone else’s kitchen, and they don’t usually use that particular oven as “it works funny” - naturally, they admit to this after the meat was cooked. :smack:

I have plans to cook another three bone roast tomorrow, but in my oven. Same plan as before - leave the roast out for a couple of hours so it’s not ice cold when it goes in the oven, cook at 325 until the probe thermometer sounds off at 115, rest, then hope to enjoy a rare slab-o-beef.

Am I missing something here, or did something just go terribly wrong with that other oven last week?

Is it possible your probe thermometer is off?

Other than that, if you want a very even roast, the slower the oven, the more even everything comes up to temp. I try to do my roasts fairly slow, in the 225-275F range. This gives you a lot of pink without too much gray on the border. I usually sear afterwards.

This outlines my philosophy, although it’s written for outdoor cooking. It works in an oven as well.

I do this as well. Roast it in a low oven and plan for the extra time it will take. Then about 10 minutes before I’m going to take it out I crank up the broiler to crust that sucker up real good.

ETA = I agree, you need to test your meat thermometer, could be off

Set the roast out of the fridge for an hour or so such that the internal temp approaches room temp. Put in a 200F oven until internal is 105F, then take out and rest under an aluminum foil tent until internal temperature stops going up, near 110F in my experience. Put back in oven at 500F till internal temp is 115F, it will coast up to 120F which is plenty rare enough for me. Sane plan can be used to obtain lower temperatures as well. Also, going up to a 4 bone roast and/or a larger steak diameter will leave more rare inside the more well done exterior.

Alas, it was the thermometer. It just kills me that a $15 thermometer led to the ruin of about $80 worth of meat. (Where’s a stark raving mad hissy fit icon when I need one?)

Dinner wasn’t really ruined - it was just far, far more done than I wanted, but people still merrily ate it up.

The culprit was one of those digital dealies where you can set an alarm temp, and probe failires are a known issue with them. Mine just decided to fail “wrong” rather than fail “dead.” I tried to test it against a quick-read dial thermometer, and they agreed on room temperature and the temp of ice water, but when I put it into boiling water, it displayed “HI” and failed permanently.

Could be worse. I was at an event a few years back that I still refer to Dick’s Beef Massacre - he had been tasked with cooking ten full racks of actual prime grade beef for a motorcycle club event. He looks at his ancient meat thermometer and sees 160 is medium, so 70+ bones worth of prime rib are put into the [del]incinerator[/del] ovens. Most of that meat came back uneaten, and many of the guests started sneaking away and coming back with pizzas.

Starting early, I cooked a 4.5 lb (3 rib) roast at 375 for one hour and 15 minutes (75). Then I turned the oven off and left the door closed. Then, for 45 minutes before wanting to eat I turned it back on at 300. It was perfect, brown on the outer inch but pink and juicy throughout the rest.

ETA: Ah, the thermometer. Glad it was that easy.

Are you me? I had the exact same damn problem - $70 of meat “ruined” because of a $10 thermometer.

I usually do the sear at 500 then low and slow but the last time I seared with a propane torch, then seasoned and did low and slow for the entire cook. It came out nicely.

My problem with prime rib is that my family and extended family all like their meat well done so I rarely cook a prime rib roast. If they want well done meat I get inexpensive pot roasts and cook the jeezus out of it.

Thermapen–expensive but worth every penny. I love mine, it instantly tells me the temp when I need it. I was hesitant as $80-100 for a thermometer seemed a bit over the top but it has been worth every penny. Worked great on the roast my wife made for Christmas, and for my pulled pork on the Big Green Egg, so for big cuts of meat it was totally worth it.

I see you’ve already determined that it was the thermometer. Oh well.

That said, I think the oven hosed you too. 1h45m at 325F, plus a 20-30 minute resting period, for a three-rib bone-in prime rib roast to be medium well to well done also seems way off. Just as there’s no way it could have gone from a readout of 115F to what seems to have been 160F in 30 minutes of resting on the counter (it should rise by 10F at most in resting), it also doesn’t seem right that a bone-in roast reached 145-150F in well under 2 hours at just 325F.

Now that the actual problem has been solved, I’d just like to say that Prime Rib Standing would be a cool name for a television show.