4 University of Idaho students stabbed to death

I think we can say things have changed for the worse just about everywhere. But, yes, in the 17 years I’ve lived here in Moscow…

• Guy with two assault rifles executed his wife at home, drove a couple of miles to a church across the street from the County Courthouse where he killed the church’s live-in caretaker as well as the first responding police officer, wounded a Sheriff’s Deputy, and put several bullets into an “unwise” kid who responded to the sounds of distant gunfire by grabbing his gun, riding his bike to the scene of the action, and walking directly into the gunman’s line of fire (kid survived). Gunman then killed himself.
  • “Troubled” 30 year old guy shot and killed his landlord, wounded a bystander at the same time, drove to Arby’s to shoot and kill the manager (because of imagined slights), then drove to his Mother’s home to shoot and kill her. She was an MD who I knew.
  • at least one double murder, can’t remember any details
  • and several non-sensational single murders.

Police have said exactly that, LOTS of blood. And it was reported yesterday that blood leaked out of the house and was literally running down the outside foundation wall. Report included photo.

I won’t bother regurgitating any rumors, but will say that I’m led to believe the police know who they’re looking for.

I agree, and all I can surmise is they don’t want to release the name because they don’t want to spook the suspect into running… but then why not bring them in for questioning if they know who it is?

They keep saying it was a targeted attack. How would they know that unless the killer left a note telling them that?

Knowing who the suspect is and knowing where the suspect is are two very different problems the police have to solve. It can sometimes be pretty easy to get to the first answer and then a long hard slog to get to the second answer.

All the more so since the second answer keeps changing as the suspect moves around, either just in his normal innocent “nobody suspects me” life or even worse once they’re on the lam. Sure you can stake out his home and work addresses. Maybe that’ll catch him. Maybe that’ll spook him. But how long do you sit there when he’s no-showing both before you switch to a county- or state-wide dragnet?

Wouldn’t have to be a note. Maybe there was evidence that made it apparent.

What a strange case. The vast majority of murders that are solved are solved almost at once. In the about 50% of murders that are cleared, the killer is obvious.

I would imagine there are all manner of cameras covering the area.

Possible scenario: Survivor wakes up, sees that other bedroom doors are closed, doesn’t hear housemates, assumes that they’re off at their morning classes, and has no reason to open bedroom doors. Goes downstairs, sees one of their other housemates passed out on the couch, knows that they’re supposed to be up by now for class, tries to wake them, housemate is still out. Calls the cops about the passed-out housemate, and doesn’t even realize that the other four aren’t quiet because they’re in class; they’re quiet because they’re lying in pools of blood in their closed bedrooms.

The unconscious housemate could be because the killer drugged everyone somehow to make them easier to murder, or it could just be because they all had a party the previous night and had way too much to drink.

@Paul_was_in_Saudi 2 above …

We’ll know soon enough.

But my WAG is the police know who their suspect is. Or at least have a very short list of suspects. But they can’t locate them yet and think naming names in public will make them even harder to find.

In an alternative scenario, they have somebody now that they’re sweating who they expect to name or help them locate the real killer.

Yeesh. Yeah, that was 50 years ago, now I think about it. We usually spent weekends busting kids from WSU, who came across the border to drink at the lower age limit and who then tried to drive home.

And usually, LE asks the public for help locating the suspect or person of interest. Not telling the public will only make it harder for them. The FBI is now involved and we may learn more shortly.

I’ve seen discussions that there’s a guy in the video watching the girls. He seems to follow behind them.

Hoodie guy could be a friend tagging along. Or a stalker? Cops will probably find him and question.

Imho the 2 survivors were upstairs sleeping off the party. They wake up the next morning to a nightmare crime scene. Just my opinion

The police said they interviewed the surviving roommates and that they are cooperating. They also said they don’t know who made the 911. I suppose someone could have stopped by, gone inside (the front door was unlocked), seen one of the bodies, and called 911 to report an unconscious person, but then not hung around until the police showed up? Does that sound reasonable?

I assume there is a way to know what number the 911 call was made from. “The call is coming from inside the house!”

Can you cite that? I thought they said they weren’t going to say who made the call.

You are correct. I misread what they said. They know who made the 911 call, but they aren’t saying who it is now. I guess they’re protecting the privacy of the caller. Scratch everything I said.

Initial reports say the scene was extremely bloody. There are photos out there that supposedly show blood dripping down the exterior foundation. I find it difficult to believe this is even possible given how a modern house is constructed.

This happened early Sunday morning. Don’t think too many colleges have classes at that time.

I wonder if the killer was an incel. When looking up “incel” in Wiki one of the things mentioned is “Since 2014, multiple mass killings have been perpetrated by self-identified incels, as well as other instances of violence or attempted violence”.

One of my young adult kids suggested the same re: incel. Interesting.

I heard the UI students have mostly left town early for Thanksgiving due to safety concerns. Not sure if that’s true. Or if the same is happening over at nearby WSU.