61 hours of insanity: The final days of Trump

Seems more like Trump just wants to make Biden have to put it back into place. Probably thinks people would see it as a bad thing to do.

Or it forces Biden to re-enact Trump’s policy. ‘See?? I was right!’

I can’t read the article because it’s paywalled, so I’m curious - why couldn’t Biden just fire all the Trump appointees and give the fired employees their old jobs back?

He probably could have, but it would have been a mess – legal challenges to the initial firings, legal challenges to the “second round” firings, etc. In the meantime, these individuals would have their lives upended. Even if they could eventually get their jobs back, how many would decide they’d rather move on to greener pastures? And how many highly-qualified individuals considering federal employment would look at the whole fiasco and say, “No, thanks”?

Any more crazy pardons yet? I must admit I’m going to miss this whole car crash when it’s over, it’s the only thing that cheers me up after watching my own government wrecking our country.

The whole transition period idea is just nuts. Just organise a decent civil service to ease in the newbies and you won’t need it.

Also, civil service protections and good benefits have long been the counterbalance to lower-than-private-sector pay. Remove those, turn it into a job that can go away again in the future and ruin that pension, and it becomes much, much less attractive.

Not quite. 1 day, 1 hour and 21 minutes. See a countdown timer here: https://trumpevictionclock.com/nicer/.

It may not be finally 24 yet, it is his last full day in office, so that’s something.

Annnnd … we’re now within 24 hours. it’s 1209 ET as I type. Yaay.

Since we’re counting the hours, here’s a countdown of the whole four years…

No one wants to come to Trumpie’s send-off tomorrow! Not Pence, not Republican leaders in Congress, not Bolton. Fuckin-a, they even invited the Mooch, who probably laughed out loud when that e-mail popped up in his inbox.

It feels really fucking good to know that we’re all laughing AT Donald, not with him.

Definite shades of Nixon getting on the helicopter, seen off by only his family and most loyal aides. Except instead of flashing a peace sign, Trump’s more likely to give them all the finger.

The rats are leaving the sinking ship.

Biden was not offered a government plane to transport him to the inauguration, so is flying private. From CNN:

A person familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN that Biden was not taking a US government plane to Joint Base Andrews for the first stop of his inauguration festivities.

“He’s flying private,” the source said, declining to say whether the government did not offer Biden a plane.

A second source familiar with the matter said the government did not offer the Bidens a plane, but did not have details.

If Trump isn’t on the ground in FL at noon, Air Force (no longer) One should just land at the nearest airfield and push his sorry orange ass out the door.

Nixon wasn’t flashing the peace sign, but his “V for Victory” sign. Although they look the same, that was how Nixon always meant it.

Trump’s military send-off will feature salutes from The General (insurance mascot), Colonel Sanders, and Cap’n Crunch.

Why does it need to land first?

Because opening a hatch on a jet aircraft in flight may result in damage to the airframe.

Isn’t there something called a “touch & go”? How about opening it between the touch and the go? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I guess it’s too late to paint one of those cargo planes with the ramp in back.