‘80s Tribute compilation, on Instagram: a collective Dopers’ identification of the compilation

(This could be a thread game, but I thought it belongs better in CS. Mods, please move this as needed, and thanks in advance.)

Hi! I thought this might be a fun exercise for us to do collectively! Can we complete the list of brief segments in the video compilation? I’m confident that we can!

This compilation on IG lasts about 90 seconds and it runs through about 96 or so small segments of scenes representing the 1980s. These are some iconic scenes.

Here’s the IG compilation ➜

As we Dopers all age more gracefully, I thought we could put our collective heads, memories, and experiences together to complete the list of all the segments. Some entries are challenging! My idea is this:

1] Watch the compilation. See what segments you can identify. Enjoy it!
2] Include the link for the IG Compilation. Then, copy & paste (or, C&P) the current list into your post, with your added entries. Or perhaps better, use the Reply & Quote feature, but if you do the R&Q, be sure to remove the Quote tags. Add at least one, and more if you can! I did an initial numbering for the list and started with some initial entries. Add yours with a C&P (or R&Q) and let’s grow the list to completion. After viewing the compilation once, I recognize several of them but already know that I don’t know all of them. I am 62, and was in my 20s in the 1980s. I joined the Marines in 1980 and shipped out to boot camp on 25 January 1980. The 80s were some good times.

Remember, the link for the IG Compilation should be at the beginning of each post’s list.

3] If you have a specific memory about any segment, share that. Name the segment, with its number, and then write about the memory that it conjures. Here’s an example, and this is a true, recent memory:

#2 Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles — My wife and I just got back Sunday (like, 2 days ago) from a 2 week road trip. It was a great trip but in Moab, UT my Jeep overheated and blew a head gasket. Instead of driving home in our Jeep we ended up renting 4 different cars from different companies (don’t ask me, it’s a story), and then we flew home. When the Jeep is repaired we’ll fly back to drive it home. During those final days in Moab I couldn’t help but think of Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I love that movie!

That’s an example.

4] If you only have a memory to share without adding to the list, that’s fine. Please do so, but only if the clip is already in the list. If it’s not in the list, put it onto the list (C&P or R&Q as described above in rule 2) in the best way you can. But, I’m not looking for any and all 1980s memories, only those closely associated with segments in the original video compilation.
5] Feel free to share your current age, if you’d like to. But that’s not a requirement in this thread. Again, I am 62.
6] Feel free to correct / revise / append what you think is needed in our collective list, but please explain and please identify the original poster with the @ sign. A conversation may be needed.
7] Enjoy the process of reliving some 1980s memories! I hope they are good memories for you, but sad memories are also welcome. We’ve all probably had them, then. As the saying goes, “A joy shared is twice the joy. A sorrow shared is half the sorrow.”
8] Most importantly, have fun!

I think there are about 96 clips in the compilation. As our list fills in, our numbering will become more accurate. Don’t sweat it, just add to it and make it more accurate.

I already tried searching and did not find the answers that complete the list.

I think I’ve covered the basic rules. Let’s not overthink this. Do the best you can within the 8 rules. We will make this work!

Let’s do this! Ready, Dopers? GO!

2 Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
4 the fun street dancing scene from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, to Twist and Shout
8 Kevin Bacon and Chris Penn in Footloose, getting rhythm

25 Top Gun: I feel the need for speed!

31 Princess Buttercup in The Princess Bride

84 Top Gun: Tom Cruise as Pete Maverick riding his Kawasaki Ninja

93 Richard Gere in Pretty Woman: he’s waiting at the bar for Julia Roberts. She walks in, and she looks stunning.

The song being played is Waiting for a Star to Fall - Boy Meets Girl.

Is there any way to rewind IG videos ?

I thought this might be fun.

1 Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte in the movie, 48 Hours
3 Michael Jackson popularizes the Moonwalk
4 the fun street dancing scene from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, to Twist and Shout
5 ALF the TV alien (ALF = Alien Life Form)
6 Scene from The Breakfast Club; the different kids start to get along
7 Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) helps Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) train for his fight against Clubber Lang (Mr. T) in Rocky III
9 Elliot (Henry Thomas) rides his bicycle with E.T. in the basket. Being chased by some bad boys, he tries to get away from them and E.T. helps him fly. It is evening, and they fly across the glow of a full moon.
14 Ghostbusters scene with Dan Aykroyd as Ray Stantz and Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore.
16 Chevy Chase in National Lampoon’s Vacation.

23 Crockett and Tubbs of Miami Vice: Don Johnson as James “Sonny” Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Ricardo “Rico” Tubbs.
26 Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing
28 Ally Sheedy
33 Phoebe Cates climbs out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

93 Richard Gere in Pretty Woman: he’s waiting at the bar for Julia Roberts. She walks in, and she looks stunning.

I don’t know the numbers, between 33 and 84 on your list, but I’ve seen
Bruce Willis in Die Hard
Kate Capshaw in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Who’s the Boss, looks like the opening credits
Robert Palmer, not sure which song
Tom Cruise in Risky Business doing the slide
Robocop
Three Amigos dance scene with Steve Martin and Martin Short
Dire Straits Money For Nothing video

Yes, I do it two different ways. In a browser, I refresh the URL and that starts it at the beginning again. Here’s the URL: Retrokid™ on Instagram.

In the app, I watch the video in the videos feature (see my picture, the green oval). To rewind it, I scroll down on my phone to the next video, then back up to it and that also restarts it.

HTH!

Thanks for these.

The numbers are hard! I’ll try to get them…

Here’s a memory, about:

40 Tamlyn Tomita as Kumiko in The Karate Kid II, and then also Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso

(I’m adding that to the list)

Man, oh man did I have a crush on her, Tamlyn Tomita as Kumiko! So pretty. But not just a pretty face. Her character in the movie was quiet, genteel, polite, kind.

Updated list coming soon…

Partial list :

21 Toni bloody Basil - Mickey

? Aha - Take on me video
? Christopher Reeve as Superman
? Culture Club video
? Back to the Future
? Warwick Davis in Willow

Here’s the IG compilation
Rachael Simmonds on Instagram: "Absolutely loved the 80s👌🫶 #80s #throwback #80sthrowback #memories"

7 Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) helps Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) train for his fight against Clubber Lang (Mr. T) in Rocky III; Rocky is in a yellow tank top
9 Elliot (Henry Thomas) rides his bicycle with E.T. in the basket. Being chased by some bad boys, he tries to get away from them and E.T. helps him fly. It is evening, and they fly across the glow of a full moon.
10 Madonna is a Material Girl

14 Ghostbusters scene with Dan Aykroyd as Ray Stantz and Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore.
20 John Travolta in Look Who’s Talking

22 Whitney Houston
23 Crockett and Tubbs of Miami Vice: Don Johnson as James “Sonny” Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Ricardo “Rico” Tubbs.
28 Ally Sheedy

33 Jennifer Beal in Flashdance
35 Phoebe Cates wearing her red bikini climbs out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High; she doesn’t wear it for much longer
37 Kelly LeBrock is The Woman in Red
38 Elisabeth Shue in The Karate Kid
40 Tamlyn Tomita is Kumiko in The Karate Kid II, and then also cut to Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso

41 Bill Cosby, in one of his Jell-O commercials
45 Arnold Schwarzenegger is Conan the Barbarian
50 Christopher Reeve as Superman

52 Bruce Willis in Die Hard
60 Rocky III in a yellow tank top

66 Tom Cruise in Risky Business doing the slide
67 Robocop

70 Rocky III — on the beach after successful training, Rocky in his yellow tank top hugs Apollo Creed
71 Three Amigos dance scene with Steve Martin and Martin Short
73 Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams
75 Dire Straits Money For Nothing video

88 Val Kilmer as Iceman hugs Tom Cruise as Maverick after their successful sortie

Okay, I went thru and filled in some areas - I am not sure how accurate the numbering I have on the later/higher numbered spots - but here is what I got. I graduated HS in the mid 80s, FWIW.

7 Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) helps Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) train for his fight against Clubber Lang (Mr. T) in Rocky III; Rocky is in a yellow tank top

11 B52s Love Shack
13 Van Halen Jump

22 Whitney Houston
24 Corey Feldman?
28 Ally Sheedy
29 Molly Ringwald and Jake from Sixteen Candles

32 Shari Headley as Lisa McDowell in Coming to America
35 Phoebe Cates wearing her red bikini climbs out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High; she doesn’t wear it for much longer
40 Tamlyn Tomita is Kumiko in The Karate Kid II, and then also cut to Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso

42 Phil Collins in ??
43 Ed O’Neill Married with Children
44 Karate Kid dojo instructor
48 A-ha Take on Me

56 Kate Capshaw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom opening scene
58 Top Gun
59 Robert Palmer Addicted to Love

61 Goonies?
63 Airplane
64 Eddie Murphy Beverly Hills Cop
65 Dirty Dancing rugby lifting scene
67 Robocop

70 Rocky III — on the beach after successful training, Rocky in his yellow tank top hugs Apollo Creed
72 Boy George Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?
74 Perfect Strangers?
76 Doc and McFly Back to the Future
79 Bruce Springsteen Dancing in the Dark
80 Tom Selleck Magnum PI

81 More Top Gun
86 Freddy Mercury
87 Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal
88 Val Kilmer as Iceman hugs Tom Cruise as Maverick after their successful sortie
90 Kenny Baker in Willow

@snowthx , correction, 24 Corey Feldman? No that’s Andrew McCarthy.

Thanks for the others.

Here’s the IG compilation
Rachael Simmonds on Instagram: "Absolutely loved the 80s👌🫶 #80s #throwback #80sthrowback #memories"

11 B52s Love Shack
13 Van Halen Jump

22 Whitney Houston
24 Corey Feldman? No that’s Andrew McCarthy.
27 Jennifer Connelly
28 Ally Sheedy

42 Phil Collins in ??
43 Ed O’Neill Married with Children
44 Karate Kid dojo instructor
48 A-ha Take on Me

57 Tony Danza as Tony Micelli in Who’s the Boss?
58 Top Gun
59 Robert Palmer Addicted to Love

61 Goonies?
63 Airplane
67 Robocop

72 Boy George Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?
74 Perfect Strangers?
76 Doc and McFly Back to the Future
79 Bruce Springsteen Dancing in the Dark
80 Tom Selleck Magnum PI

81 More Top Gun
86 Freddy Mercury
90 Kenny Baker in Willow

12- Cindy Lauper` Girls Just Wanna Have Fun ( That’s Captain Lou Albano in the singlet behind her)
15- Adventures in Babysitting
17- Jean Claude Van Damme dancing in “Kickboxer”
18- Beat Street
19- Lionel fucking Ritchie in his video for ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

I’ll be back for more later unless this is finished when I return! Graduated HS in 1987.

30 looks like Meg Ryan, but from what I don’t know.
34 Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon?
39 Is that from the Goonies?
46 is Van Dame but I don’t know what movie.
47 Stallone, but don’t know the movie.
47.5 is Batman I think you meant to put A-Ha at 49.
51 is Die Hard
52 with the guy dancing with a broom
53 is the ET ship landing.
54 Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse falling
61 is the Goonies
77 might be Greggory Hines in White Nights, and if it is I have no idea how I pulled that out of my ass.
I don’t think there is an 81-83.
87.5 You can Call Me Al, Paul Simon and Chevy Chase.
92 is Bruce Willis driving a car with a woman
94 is Fine Young Cannibals
95 is Police Academy
96 Looks like License to Drive with Coryy Feldman and Corey Haim

Have they all been figured out yet?

Most of them. There are a handful left.

This is coming together nicely.

In #30 I’m pretty sure she is definitely not Meg Ryan. Pretty sure that is Bridget Fonda. I got that from some folks on imgur.

In #47, is that Sylvester Stallone in Lock Up?

Here’s the IG compilation ➜ Rachael Simmonds on Instagram: "Absolutely loved the 80s👌🫶 #80s #throwback #80sthrowback #memories"

11 B-52s Love Shack
12 Cindy Lauper, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (That’s Captain Lou Albano in the singlet behind her)
13 Van Halen Jump
14 Ghostbusters scene with Dan Aykroyd as Ray Stantz and Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore
15 Adventures in Babysitting: Keith Coogan, Maia Brewton, and Anthony Rapp
17 Jean Claude Van Damme dancing in “Kickboxer”
18 Beat Street
19 Lionel Ritchie in his video for ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

21 Toni Basil is Mickey in the “Hey Mickey” video and song. It was Toni Basil’s debut album, Word of Mouth (1981).
22 Whitney Houston
24 Andrew McCarthy
27 Jennifer Connelly
28 Ally Sheedy
30 Meg Ryan

31 Princess Buttercup in The Princess Bride. She’s about to jump out the window and fall into the arms of Fezzik, the giant played by Andre the Giant
34 Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon
39 The Goonies
40 Tamlyn Tomita is Kumiko in The Karate Kid II, and then cut to Ralph Macchio as Daniel LaRusso

42 Phil Collins
43 Ed O’Neill in Married with Children
44 Martin Kove as John Kreese, the Karate Kid dojo instructor
46 Jean Claude Van Damme
47 ? Sylvester Stallone in Lock Up?
48 Michael Keaton is Batman
49 A-ha video, Take on Me

53 ET’s spacecraft landing
54 Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse falling
57 Tony Danza as Tony Micelli in Who’s the Boss?
58 Top Gun
60 Robert Palmer, Addicted to Love

61 Rocky III in a yellow tank top
62 The Goonies
63 Airplane
67 Robocop

72 Boy George, Culture Club video, Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?
74 Perfect Strangers?
76 Doc Brown and Marty McFly in Back to the Future (Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox)
77 Gregory Hines in White Nights
79 Bruce Springsteen, Dancing in the Dark
80 Tom Selleck as Magnum PI

81 More Top Gun
83 You can Call Me Al, Paul Simon and Chevy Chase
85 Freddy Mercury
86 Warwick Davis in Willow

92 Bruce Willis driving a car with a woman
94 Fine Young Cannibals
95 Police Academy
96 Corey Feldman and Corey Haim in License to Drive

I can’t see any thing between Christopher Reeve (50) and Bruce Willis (52)

Christopher Reeve as Superman is 51
54 Who framed Roger Rabbit Bugs and Mickey falling
55 Flashdance?
I don’t think there is a 59 or 69
82 Freddie Mercury
Number start to not match the people after that - I think.

46 is JCVD in “No Retreat, No Surrender”