Most Eighties-ish Eighties Song

On the way into work, I was contemplating what the most Eighties-ish song of the 1980s is - that is, what song screams “This totally awesome tune was written and performed in the radical 1980s!” more so than any other song. What do you think is the most Eighties-ish Eighties rock song? Not necessarily the best, mind you, but the most “Eighties.”

Sunglasses at Night by Corey Heart probably ranks up there, both for the synth, and the theme - sunglasses are, like, oh so 1980s, omigod! Simply Irresisitible by Robert Palmer is probably a candidate for the most quintessential 1980s music video - not necessarily the best video of the era, but one of the ones that screams “EIGHTIES!” the loudest. Very corporate theme, and style over substance - very Eighties. Palmer and his serious-looking clone babes look like they’re going to perform a hostile takeover of some helpless company in that video.

I always thought You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive epitomized the '80’s sound.

I think the definitive answer might be, “I Ran,” by Flock of Seagulls. Unless it’s “Goody Two Shoes” by Adam Ant, or “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell. Course, it could be “Hungry Like the Wolf” by Duran Duran. Or . . .

For Duran songs, I’ve gotta go with The Reflex.

Anything by the Culture Club.

Oh, my… I wouldn’t know where to begin with this. I don’t think I could pick one song to truly represent the 80s sound.

“Take on Me” by A-ha comes to mind, which is also an outstanding video (and while we’re talking about videos, “Eyes Without a Face” by Billy Idol and “Owner of a Lonely Heart” by Yes also rank up there for me, both video- and music-wise). So does “Sweet Dreams” by the Eurythmics. And " In Cars" by Gary Numann (sp?). And “99 Red Balloons” by Nena. And “Shout” by Tears for Fears. And… And… And… what lissener said!

What can I say, I’m a child of the 80s… I love it all :smiley:

That would be Rio by Duran Duran.

Somebody had to :smiley:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Personally, I agree. I just think of HLtW as more iconic.

My own personal eighties list would include songs like

“Barbarella,” The Bongos
“All That I Wanted,” Belfegore
“Dancing in Heaven (Orbital Bebop),” Q-Feel
“I Eat Cannibal,” Total Coelho
“The Dreaming,” Kate Bush
“Big Electric Cat,” Adrian Belew
“Lay Your Hands on Me,” Peter Gabriel
“Its Nearly Africa,” XTC
“It Ain’t What You Do,” Fun Boy Three

man, I could go on . . .

Exactly what I came in here to say.

It combines songwriting mediocrity, flashy “cool” hairstyles and outfits, the obligatory synth-standard of 80’s pop music, present-day band obscurity, and visual exposure via the cutting edge (at the time) MTV.

There are so many 80s styles, it’s sort of hard to pick just one.

I play in an 80s cover band, and perhaps the song that we do that screams “the 80s” the most to me is Don’t You Forget About Me by Simple Minds. It has the added benefit of being the song from one of the quintisential 80s movies as well.

I’d say other contenders would include any number of Huey Lewis songs (also tied into the ‘classic’ movie Back to the Future), any number of Michael Jackson songs (Thriller perhaps), and… yeah, just too many to name.

Something by Wang Chung

No “Power Ballads” yet? “The Power of Love” (Jennifer Rush)? “Total Eclipse of the Heart” (Bonnie Tyler)? “These Dreams” (Heart)? “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” (Poison)?

Another vote for “Tainted Love” and “Rio”, as well.

Funny how usually folks think of goofy synth-pop or hair metal when they think of the 80s. I think of REM and the million bands they spawned. Jangly guitars, mumbled vocals, paisley shirts. I also think of the hardcore scene. People in the know reviled the kitsch that people seem to now so fondly remember as “80s music”

Might be late-70s rather than 80s, but “Smart Patrol” by Devo screams “New Wave” more than any other song I’ve heard. The combination of low-tech synths, crystal-pure production, and the “we shot the poles in the hole” shout-out are the essential features of New Wave.

Berlin’s The Metro says 80’s to me.

My nominee is “Don’t You Want Me” by the Human League.

“Safety Dance” by Men Without Hats.

and “Fascination” by the Human League

Like, totally, dude.

The '80’s had a couple of things going on during the decade - the punk-“alternative”-grunge thing, the hair metal at the end of the decade, and the beginnings of hip-hop, but I think you guys are on the right track.

I nominate “Melt with You” by Modern English.

Arrogant much?

I submit anything by Cyndi Lauper or Culture Club as my definitive '80s songs.