Song that epitomizes the 80s

Mine would be Golden brown by The stranglers.

Do They Know It’s Christmas.

or, Like a Virgin.

“Don’t You Forget About Me”.

Thread over.

We could have a whole genre of “Most Xish song of the X’s”.

Obviously for the 90s it is “Smells like Teen Spirit”. So don’t bother with anything else.

My nomination for the 70s is “Heart of Glass” by Blondie.

For me, it would be “The Warrior” by Scandal (featuring Patty Smyth).

Bang bang!

Agreed. This is it. No other songs may be considered. Cast your votes, it’s ballot of one.

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (Wham)

Or maybe Day Bow Bow.

Pretty much, but I’ll still throw in Missing Persons’ “Walking in LA” as my nominee.

Girls Girls Girls by Motley Crue or just about anything by Van Halen (with David Lee Roth).

Mickey by Toni Basil.

I can’t really fault your suggestion, but the first thing that popped into my head was Take On Me.

Yeah, no. There are any number of 80’s songs that would epitomize the decade for any number of people. Hell, I have a playlist of over 200 songs from 1980-1989, and that’s only in a relatively narrow range of rock and pop.

(Sidetrack: I don’t watch It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, so I don’t know if the reference is idiocy on the part of the writers or intended to make the characters look stupid, but there ain’t any part of that song that sounds like “Day Bow Bow”.)

Anyway. Some other candidates:[ul][]Pat Benatar: “Hit Me With Your Best Shot”[]Queen & David Bowie: “Under Pressure”[]The Fixx: “One Thing Leads to Another”[]Foreigner: “Urgent”[]Journey: “Don’t Stop Believin’”[]Eddie Money (with Ronnie Spector): “Take Me Home Tonight”[]The Police: “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic”[]Bruce Springsteen: “Born in the U.S.A.”[]Squeeze: “Tempted”[]Til Tuesday: “Voices Carry”[*]ZZ Top: “Gimme All Your Lovin’”[/ul]

I always think of New Wave when I think of prototypical 80s music–I might pick “Whip It” by Devo, “She Blinded Me with Science” by Thomas Dolby, or “The Safety Dance” by Men Without Hats. Not that it’s my favorite genre, but it definitely sounds like early 80s.

How about other decades?

I would say for the 90s, it’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana. In the 70s, it would be “Staying Alive” by the Bee Gees. The 60s were Jimi Hendrix’s version of “All Along the Watchtower.” The 50s would be “Sleep Walk.” “In the Mood” by the Glenn Miller Orchestra epitomizes the 1940s (even though it’s from 1939).

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.
Walking On Sunshine.

“Walking on Sunshine”-Katrina and The Waves
“99 Red Ballons”-Nena
“Rock Me Amadeus”-Falco

She was briefly married to punk rocker Richard Hell; he’s the father of her oldest child. They met at a music industry function and married a few months later, and here’s the kicker: At the time that they met, neither of them had ever heard of the other one. :confused: She had never followed the punk scene, and he did not watch MTV or listen to Top 40 radio.

As for me, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam’s “Head To Toe” just drips 1980s, along with neon clothing and poofy hair. :cool:

No one remembers Thriller? Even with 155 million views.

“Your Love” by The Outfield, of course.

“Boys of Summer” by Don Henley might count too.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Tears for Fears

True, Spandau Ballet

Kyrie, Mr. Mister

Yup. :slight_smile: