99 message board words or phrases to retire in 2014

Do you know who e… DOH!

Betteridge’s Law of Headlines: If a headline is posed as a question, the answer is invariably no.

Did I mention?

It manages to irritate in both of the ways it can be used.

Example 1:

“I like tomatoes. My friend gave me a tomato sandwich. Did I mention I like tomatoes?”

Commentary: yes, you fucking did, just now.

Example 2:

“I went to my friend’s house last Sunday. My friend gave me a tomato sandwich. Did I mention I like tomatoes?”

Commentary: no you fucking didn’t and you know it, you’re doing it now.

This affectedly coy phrase must die.

USian, USAian, USAnian, etc. The word you’re looking for is American.

"Worst ______ ever! [/Comic Book Guy]

My understanding is that principle applies to actual news articles which (ostensible) have a journalistic point, as opposed to random pics and graphics on news/entertaintment aggregator sites.

So, “Is the President about to authorise a nuclear strike against Sandistan?” would meet the requirement for the abovementioned Law Of Headline Questions, since the answer, when you read the article, will generally be “No” - and it will be explicitly stated (“The President has absolutely ruled out a nuclear strike against Sandistan, saying it would only further destabilise the region and lead to un-necessary tension with the Duchy of Unterland”), whereas in an infotainment story the question will never be addressed beyond the headline.

Thus, “Is this the best picture ever taken of a wombat surfing a crocodile?” will never actually be explicitly addressed in the accompanying “article” - there will be a pic of a wombat apparently surfing a crocodile, and the caption will probably mention something about how odd/cute the depicted scenario is, and perhaps some background or amusing commentary, but the actual question of whether or not the image really is the best ever taken of its subject is left as a purely subjective one for the reader to answer themselves.

This post has been graped by The Grapist.

Dude, are you really the Grapist?

You seem to have quite a fascination with him. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do to; which is why I think we should stop using Og’s name all the time. Poor Og.

OMG. It’s spelled and pronounced differently?

Well, I suppose it then loses its meaning entirely.

Somebody should have alerted me before about this.

I feel like it’s a pretty apt descriptor for a lot of 'Muricans.

cite?

Ohm, I choose to resist.