[QUOTE=TheLoadedDog]
<snip>But in a scenario more familiar to the average urban-environment Schmoe, say a quick jaunt down the street to the liquor store, it’s virtually impossible to become a statistic due to the heat, but the impression I get from this thread is that it’s relatively much easier to fatally screw up in extreme cold conditions, and the level of stupidity involved need not be as high.
[/QUOTE]
You’ve got me thinking about this, now. We do everything we can to avoid a situation where we find out how long we can live in the cold, so now I’m wondering. I know that there is a danger to drunks and homeless people in winter - sleeping outdoors or passing out outdoors can both kill you.
If you drive your car between cities/towns and have a breakdown and there is no traffic or nearby houses, you could die in your car from exposure if you’re there long enough, or you could die from trying to walk if there is no one close enough.
A child or senile senior will occasionally get out of the house in winter and wander away - that can end in death if the wanderer isn’t noticed and brought back in soon enough.
If your furnace stops working, your ambient temperature will certainly drop eventually; you’re still protected from the elements, but if you stay in an unheated house, I think that will eventually kill you.
Getting wet is avoided like the plague in winter, because any exposure is made exponentially worse by being wet. Falling through rotten ice takes your body heat away incredibly fast.
You can be killed by avalanches in the mountains (actually, I think these happen a lot more than people realize). That’s more from suffocating than exposure, though.
That’s just the deaths that can occur; loss of toes, fingers, tip of nose and ears from frostbite is much more likely. I don’t think there’s a Canadian alive who hasn’t had a mild case of frostbite in their lives. Walking from your car to the nearest farmhouse when your car breaks down on the highway probably won’t cost you your life, but it might cost you a couple of toes if the walk is too long, and you have improper footwear. There’s another cultural thing, though - if there is traffic on the road, someone will stop and help you. No doubt in my mind about it. We all know that the consequences for not helping a stranded motorist are bad in winter.
I just realized that I’m talking about Western Canada - I would have to assume that if you go further north, you get worse consequences easier.