ಠ_ಠ

just testing the reddit eyes. probably won’t work.

It works on my Firefox (Windows XP).

Whoa. What is that?

The thread title underlining ruins the effect.

IvoryTowerDenizen - It’s a unicode ascii emoticon popularized by/on a website called reddit.com

I think it makes him look like he’s looking up over a table or something.

It’s called ‘look of disapproval’. The diacritical marking(?) kind of looks like furrowed brows.

Jesus! I see this thread and think “why the fuck is my Dad posting on the dope?”

Too bad the underline isn’t on top. That would make a perfect pair of glasses. OK, semiperfect. Flip the first smilie for perfect.

All I see is two squares with an underscore in between. Using Safari.

That’s what I saw in firefox on my Mac. Using tapatalk on my phone, I saw the eyes.

I’m on a Mac, using Firefox. I see squares with an underscore (no eyes) but the reason I clicked on it is those squares are identical to the characters I see in 90% of the spam I get. I was wondering what they are?

Why do they not show up when I quote the post?

Squares are what usually shows up when the character that’s supposed to be there isn’t supported by the computer/font/encoding being used. You might also see a ? or a blank space, or a square with something in it, or other gibberish characters.

For those that don’t see the eyes…

Because they are in the title. If you want them, just use copy and paste.

Actually, I think the underline adds to it, makes it look sterner or something.

So what alphabet are the eyes taken from? I’m gathering, by some Dopers’ feedback, that it’s a not standard one, but since I’ve installed a lot of different alphabets on my system for the purpose of anthem research, there’s little that doesn’t appear here, I can easily see them.

(My guess is Arabic).

Not working in Safari.

Not working in Firefox.

Not working in Opera.

Kannada, which is an Indian script.

It’s likely to be a font problem, not a browser problem. I’m using Firefox and they display fine for me.

I think they prefer the term “First Nations” in Kannada.