A Brain Puzzle Question

Did the bartender fire a conventional pistol, one with a bullet?

Did this action fulfill the customer’s request?

Q1: Irrelevant
Q2: Yes. In fact the guy thanked the bartender and went merrily on his way (as they say).

That’s odd - I can kill the dragon, but my knight is dead. :slight_smile:
Aha! - I just saved him on preview. :smiley:
And now that I can read the spoilers, I can see that you don’t have a solution for that. Well, my knight

mixes water from wells 1 and 2, thus creating non-poisonous water. The dragon then goes off to drink from well 7, thus poisoning himself incurably.

Here’s some classic logic problems, BTW.

Is it just my computer, or are none of these things working in this thread?

See…it didn’t work for me either. I see the coding and no spoiler box. Odd…

It’s not just you! Weird shit.

Yep. That’s what I’ve always heard as the answer, usually with Revenant Threshold substitution of sea water.

Good job!

I read the puzzle as having well 1 be the sea.[/spoiler] I’d still use my solution, 'cause [spoiler]the dragon might taste the salt, and in any case, how much of a knight would you be to do that? :smiley:

Chaotic Evil? :smiley:

The spoiler tag is down, yes: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/announcement.php?f=13

Zed’s dead, baby. Zed’s dead.

I solved how to kill the dragon, but I don’t think we have a solution for saving the knight. Assuming the dragon isn’t retarded, he’d think of the same thing as the knight. What if the dragon brings him water from well #1? That just gives the knight two doses of poison, and kills him.

I’ve got the same calendar and noticed this mistake (or poorly worded problem) myself.

There was another mistake in the calendar on February 16. The question was:

Kim has three vases in her living room, each containing the same number of flowers. Kim adds three fresh flowers to one vase, which now has two more than the new average. How many flowers were in the vases originally?

Their answer: six (6 + 3 = 9, the old average was 6, the new average is 7).

The correct answer:There’s not enough information. With the information given, there could have been any number of flowers in the vases: If you add three flowers to a single vase, you increase the average number of flowers per vase by 1, while increasing the number of flowers in that particular vase by 3. The vase with the additional flowers will always have two more flowers than the new average.