A Canter Is A Cure For All Ills

For the first time in nearly 10 years, I was able to ride a horse at a canter. Well, lope, actually. I started taking lessons again back in November from a very nice lady who is very good with people like me—been into horses a long time but need some help getting back in the saddle. I hadn’t been able to ride in a very long time because of some nasty stuff that came up in my life, including some mental illness-related crap that made me absolutely terrified of my horse, Dawn, who wouldn’t hurt a fly.

Anyway, I finally decided that today would be the day. I asked my trainer if she thought I was ready and she said “I think so!” The horse I’ve been lessoning on is an absolute gentleman, and thanks to his '“Steady Eddie” personality, I was able to set him up properly after a few tries, and loped I think 4 complete laps of the indoor ring.

I wanted to cry because it’s been so long since I could do that.

Pete [the Gentleman] got several peppermint candies and a big smooch from me, and the young lady who owns him got a long e-mail from me tonight about how much I appreciate her letting me ride him in lessons, and how much of a Good Egg he is.

[sniffles] Got somethin’ in my eye there…

That is so wonderful!

Pete earned his peppermints today! :slight_smile:

I’m glad things are looking up for you.

That’s great! I sometimes miss riding, but time/life/money doesn’t make it possible right now (not to mention the fact that there aren’t many stables in downtown Montreal…). I hope I can manage to take lessons again someday. I expect my sister will one day own (a) horse(s), so I’m hoping to at least bee able to mooch occasionally!

I’m glad things are looking up for you and hope you get a lot more cantering done!

I first read that title as “A Cancer is a cure for all ills”, which is certainly true as well, but much grimmer.

Chefguy, you weren’t the only one!

I am very very happy for you and could not agree more. When I had my hgorses I could literally feel my troubles draining down thru my horse’s legs to be left far behind during a good canter.

It has been many years since I have ridden, and I fear I will likely never ride again. A part of my soul is dead without horses in my life. Please give Pete a hug from me next time you see him.

I struggled getting back to cantering after two back surgeries; now, it’s my favorite gait. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, my 22yro mare is starting to get a bit arthritic in her hocks, and while I could ride the left lead on the buckle all day long, the right lead is racey and imbalanced. Still, that left lead is heaven.

I aim to go see her (possibly ride, if my infant and toddler sons are agreeable) later this afternoon. Your thread has inspired me!

Congratulations on being back in the saddle again; I was a “rerider” too about 10 years ago. Greatest thing in the world to waste my money on. :wink:

There’s three of us. I figured it was along the lines of those “cancer cures smoking” posters.

Except if you think horses are gods. In which case it just makes things worse.