A choice excerpt from a book you're reading

I’m currently reading Barbara Freese’s Coal: A Human History and have just come across this passage, which follows a discussion of the coal miners’ strikes at the turn of the last century:

What a deftly amusing description! One can picture the bank presidents and ministers, models of propriety and rectitude amid the orderly anarchy of the citizens’ self-help. And that phrase: “politely mugged” – that’s a gem.

So, what passages would you like to share?

From White Night; I’m re-reading the Harry Dresden novels at the moment.

:smiley: Marvelous. Thanks!

One of the books I’m reading right now is Science Fiction: A Collection of Critical Essays, edited by Mark Rose. This gem comes from C. S. Lewis’s On Science Fiction; in it he so very neatly describes and dismisses much of the hostility toward science fiction as a genre – and by extension, fantastic fiction or other speculative fiction as well:

Emphasis and paragraph break mine.

It’s a wonderful essay, and one of the many reasons that C. S. Lewis remains one of my favorite writers of all time. As it happens, you can read the full essay on Google Books. I highly recommend it.

From Anathem, by Neal Stephenson:

That about sums it up.

"He carried her to the bed. It was like two tornados competing for the same trailer park’’–T. Jefferson Parker, “L. A. Outlaws”

d&r

:smiley:

A Lost King by Raymond DeCapite. Paul is telling his father he’s just gotten a job.

“Sometimes a customer praises you to the manager. When it happens the manager puts a gold star by your name. And when you get a lot of stars he calls you in.”

“What happens?”

“What happens? He showers you with stars and gives you a kiss. What do you think happens? He promotes you.”

From my audiobook, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie.