A couple of questions about the Buffyverse

As well as being an aficienado of John Woo movies.

If guns can kill demons, it would make sense not to carry them around. It’d be like a vampire using a stake as a weapon.

I was always curious as to why Angelus scared so many other demons. Not just other vampires, but other demons who tended to look down on vampires as half-breeds at best. Just what, precisely, made him so bad-ass that the mere mention of his name caused other demons to quiver in fear?

Maybe the fact that he cut a swath through Europe for several hundred years? Famed for his cruelty and viciousness? The fact that he bogarted the hair-gel?

Well, it seemed like vampires and demons pretty much left each other alone. One of the main things Adam tried to do as the Big Bad was to get all the vamps and demons to play nice long enough to take out the Slayer and everybody else. But Angelus didn’t play well with anybody. Not demons. Not vamps. Not even Darla, most of the time. Hell, not even the Beast. And he wasn’t scared of anybody, either. I think he struck fear in everybody’s hearts not only because he refused to recognize “his place” in the grand scheme of things, but he pretty ruthlessly destroyed anybody or anything who tried to get in his way.

So I guess all of that could be summed up in he never wrote checks with his mouth that his ass couldn’t cash.

I remembered that Skip was only killable once a very small piece of his impervious skin was removed, but I had forgotten that it was a bullet that actually killed him.

As far as guns being used in general (I keep referencing Angel both because I liked it a bit more than Buffy and because it’s on rerun on TNT so I’ve seen its episodes more recently) the last episode of Angel has Lorne killing Lindsey with a pistol (w/silencer) in fairly brutal fashion for a mostly lighthearted character like Lorne. It was one of the things about the final episode that just didn’t “sit right” with me. I think Lindsey had it coming (of course in the words of Clint Eastwood, we all have it coming) but it seemed very strange for Lorne to be the character to do it and in such brutal fashion. Overall I think the final episode was very solid when you consider that they didn’t expect the show to get canceled nor did they expect they would have to put together a “last episode” on the spur of the moment that would need to tie up a lot of loose ends.

Well, Angelus did take some pretty severe beatings in his time (the Beast gave him a good thrashing when they first met up, for example) because of his lack of respect for anyone or anything.

I think there are two things that contributed to general fear of Angelus/(and to a degree Angel), one is that Angelus had no fear of killing anyone or anything at any time. While a lot of demons might have the physical ability to kill a highly important demon, because of fear of reprisal, they wouldn’t do it. Angelus had no fear of killing anyone at the drop of a hat if he felt the desire to do so. This wasn’t necessarily a trait only displayed by Angelus, as Angel killed important demons throughout the series even when he knew fully that there would be serious consequences for the action (look at his assassination of the Circle of the Thorned, for example.)

Also, vampires in the Buffyverse seem to grow more powerful over time, although Angel/Angelus seems to be more powerful even than vampires who are significantly older than him. For example in the Nazi Submarine episode, Angel kills a vampire called the Father of Lies (or something like that) who is obviously very ancient (so much so that he’s taken on an appearance not dissimilar from that of The Master, who is also very old) with relatively little effort. So Angel is both relatively old (a lot of Buffyverse vamps–despite being capable of living forever seem to not make it many decades past their creation date) and much stronger than might be expected even for a vampire of his age.

When I watched the final episode of Angel, two things made me cry. Wesley’s death (which still makes me cry because I can’t seem to convince my brain that he’s not a real person), and what happened to Lorne. I really believe we were supposed to be shocked by the brutality, and it wasn’t supposed to sit right. He left Pylea because he never wanted to be a warrior. He even tried to avoid the bloodier parts of Angel’s battles. But in the end, Angel asked all of them to make sacrifices for his cause. He didn’t ask for Lorne’s life, but he did ask for something that could never be replaced, because Lindsey would never expect that sort of thing from Lorne. So Lorne got to survive to go off and find some sort of life, but I always imagined that he would never get to be happy. He’d always be carrying that act with him.

Most of the vampires seem to be not very bright, an easy kill for a Slayer, and not invincible to an ordinary human with training (like Giles). A few of them, like Angel and Spike, seem to be far more formidable; my impression was that it came down to force of personality. Most of the vamps are little more than bloodthirsty animals; Spike and Angelus combined that with intelligence and determination.

Absolutely! As Angel points out, somewhat ill-advisedly, the “personality” of a vampire is indeed contingent on the personality of the human host. So Harmony remains a ditz and vampWillow is kinda gay and the psych major is a good listener. And the vast majority of PEOPLE are basically bloodthirsty animals who are not very bright, so it stands to reason that their vampire counterparts would be the same.

It’s almost a running joke on Angel that the supernatural stuff is unknown to the wider world, but everyone in L.A. seems to accept it.

Well, you know, picture people.

I don’t know that it’s supposed to be that widely known within LA either. The LAPD certainly doesn’t seem to up on it, at least not Kate’s precinct. The demonic world in LA is presented much more clearly as a demi-monde on Angel than it was on BtVS.

I just got done watching the last coupl eof episodes of Buffy for the first time (I bought the seven season box set for my wife). Let me just say that they last episode or two was absolutley horrible (and I really like the series other than that). I don’t know what was worse, Angel showing up for an obvious and clumsily scripted cameo, Angel handily bringing along the amulet that will save the world, the amulet itself which just magically destroys everything (including Spike), the whole achingly heavy handed plot device of empowering women, or the whole slayerettes theme. It went far too broad when it should have been much more personal.

Sorry for the hijack.

Angelus goes after Faith with a gun he took from Wesley in “Release” (Season 4).

“Uh, oh, vampire with a gun!”

But he doesn’t want her to die quickly or relatively painlessly, so the fight devolves into hand to hand.

Actually, worse than any of that was that however great an idea enSlayering all the potentials was, Buffy really should have had Willow cast the empowerment spell before they all wandered down into the Hellmouth.

Plus, when you’re going into an intensive hand-to-hand combat situation, slicing your own palm open right before is generally speaking not a good idea.

I don’t know. Guns can kill humans, and we tend to carry them around quite a bit, especially when we might be facing other humans with guns. That only makes sense if the weapon isn’t also a substantial advantage against other opponents. Vampires don’t carry stakes around because they don’t give much of an advantage over the great strength and speed they already have. But if their prey were generally carrying guns around, (and guns were effective against them) they’d pretty much have to use a ranged weapon of some sort.

A lot of critters in Buffy can only be killed via beheading or evisceration, so I always kind of assumed that BuffyCo carried melee weapons because they were better suited for the specialized conditions needed to kill most baddies. Guns (or in the odd case, rocket launchers) can do a lot of damage, but they’re not going to be of any help if they won’t actually kill the baddie.

Plus, I think that Whedon’s style of choreography just doesn’t do well with ranged weapons.

It also comes down to the motivation and ego. Most vamps are just out to feed, and have little concept of “advanced planning.” It fact, most of the super-strong, super-bad, smart vamps seem to be of the Master’s line.

I agree with the above re melee weaponry. Adaptable to a large number of potential enemies, quiet, capable of being enscourcled…all in all, an axe is a better weapon than a gun for what they are dealing with.