A different kind of lyrics game!

We can’t post lyrics to songs here because of copyright issues. So here’s what I think might be a nifty kind of lyrics game to play that WON’T violate copyrights. I’m going to post the background vocals from ten “doo-wop” songs. See if you can guess the songs from these. And please, if you can transcribe doo-wop, post your own!

1. Hey hey bumda heeeeey, hey hey, bumda heeeeeey, hey hey, bumda heeeeeeeey, AHHHHHHHHH

2. Deh da deh ding dong, lingle lingle ling, boom bah doh badoo badoo baday

3. Whoooooa, radda dadda dadda dooo whoooooa, radda dadda dadda dooo

4. Do do do down dooby do down down comma comma down dooby do down down

5. Dip dip dip dip dip dip boom sha na na na sha na na na na bah doo

6. Boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy shoop

7. Boppy ah oooh, boppy ah oooh, boppy ah ooh, baby that’s you

8. Do do do do bop bop bop oh do bop she down down do bop bop oh do bop she down down

9. Fee fee fie fie foe foe fum

10. Baw baw baw baw baw baw baw baw dang a dang dang a ding a dong ding

GO!

Breaking up is hard to do.

I smell smoke in the auditorium
Oh Charlie Brown, Oh Charlie Brown
He’s a clown, that Charlie Brown

1. Blue Moon

Damn – I recognize #6, but can’t get past the second repetition to figure out what the song is. Thanks. No, really – thanks.

1. Sh-Boom

2. Get A Job

I feel bad – I used to be a doo-wopper and only recognized those two plus the three already mentioned.

It was driving me crazy, too! The first thing that popped into my head was “Monkey Time,” and then I couldn’t match the tune to the lyric.

Finally, I got “Monkey Time” out of my head and realized it’s from “Pony Time!”

“gee to the left when I say gee
haw to the right when I say haw”

Correct answers given so far:
2, 4, 5, 9, 10.

Sorry Labdad and twickster!

Excuse me? Go to this link, listen to “Pony Time.” That’s not the song you have in mind??

Isn’t #6 ‘We Go Together’ from Grease?

Well, since I’ve never heard that song 'til I clicked your link, nope. But I’ll be totally honest - #6 may not strictly qualify as a doo-wop song, and it may indeed have been inspired by Pony Time…as well as one or two other doo-wop songs.

Then I’m totally confused. But I still have to give you props, Life on Wry! This is a fantastic idea for a thread!

Nooooo… but you’re kind of on the right track. It’s not from Grease.

Just a drive-by, but I need to point out two flaws in this argument.

First, the rule is not to post complete lyrics. A one-line quote should be well within Fair Use.

Second, if these words were written into the original lyrics - or published as part of the copyrighted sheet music - they are just as copyrighted as any other lines in the song. You aren’t getting around anything by doing this.

Is #1 Runaround Sue?

Yep! Still waiting for answers to 3, 5, 6 & 7.

Exapno - it never occurred to me that the doo-wops would be printed as part of the lyrics! Still, using only the one line or two oughta be OK, yes? Mods, if I’m in error, feel free to smack me.

Isn’t that from “Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)” by Barry Mann?

Dingdingdingding! You are correct, sir or madame!

Frank?

No new insights on the unsolved ones (3, 7 and 8), but I’ll add one more:

1. Down down down down down domby dooby down down down down down …

“Come Go With Me” by the Del-Vikings

And why not some more:

1. Wop wop doodly wop, wop wop

2. Shoo-Doot’n’ Shoby-Doh, Shoo-Doot’n’ Shoby-Doh