A Few questions About The "Aliens" Movies

SciFi has been running an “Aliens” marathon-man, do these endless sequels get boring! Anyway, a few questions:
-why are interstellar spaceships so run down and shitty?
-what are future clothing styles so drab and shitty?
-why are the characters bored out of their minds?
-WHY do they keep going back to the planet that has these awful monsters?
-Finally, these people can travelo between stars! Life shoulkd be great, at this level of technology!
Instead, people seem to live like they were in some crummy New mexico town, ca, 1890!:smack:

For Alien at least, I saw the Nostromo as more of an interstate cross country truck. I think it works very well and was glad everything was not all shinny and white.

It’s a tugboat, not a cruise ship.

The company wants them for its military division.

I think it’s done to show that space travel at that point in time has become so commonplace that it’s no longer considered new, shiny, or exciting.

Interstallar travel is astonishingly slow by typical SF movie standards; it takes years to travel to the next system. The ships are all automated with the passengers and crew in suspended animation and they look about like you’d expect a tramp steamer/tugboat to look if it was left to run by itself for five years without anybody swabbing the decks down.

They keep going back to a high-risk planet because there are relatively few habitable ones out there–when they first found the planet for Alien, it didn’t have a breathable atmosphere and it was barely breathable after a generation of terraforming.

Also, the Alien stories are occurring in the same timeline, or one similar to, the timeline for Avatar–the “company” behind the shenanigans in Avatar is the same as the one behind what’s going on in Alien et al.

Clothing styles are so drab because they only have what fit into their duffel bag on last shore leave, and given a choice between making more food and making more t-shirts, settlers tend to focus on food.

They’re slow, but not that slow. At the end of Alien, for instance, Ripley talks about getting back to the frontier in about six weeks.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the FTL ship drives in the Aliens have a rather strange effect. The crew experiences reverse time-dilation, so although for an outside observer a starship making a trip from A to B may seem to take six weeks to do so the same trip may appear to last for months or years for the crew, which is why they are in suspended animation for that time and why they have an AI on board, the effects of making such a trip doesn’t bother them in the way it would a human. It’s useful because for a ship to make the same journey below the speed of light would take years or decades in ‘real time’.

Anyway personally I think the Alien story-universe, and most especially that seen in ‘Aliens’ is one of the most believable of those out there, you can easily imagine a future a lot like that with only a few more advances in technology, the guns, ships etc are a lot like current technology only more advanced. The FTL drive is probably the only really unlikely piece of hardware in the scenario.

Thanks-I was thinking of those SciFi films of the optimistic 1950’s-where the space travelers had nice sharp uniforms, the spaceships were bright and inviting…and there weren’t those mucous-spewing aliens lurking around.
Agreed-the spaceships portrayed in the “Alien” movies look like tramp steamers of the 1920’s.
One thing puzzles me-all the ships (like the Deathstar in Star Wars) have huge garbage holds-full of water. Water is pretty precious in space-why would these ships have such primitive sewage systems?

Because Hollywood hasn’t had an original idea since 1955, and the writers of this dreck would rather just recycle all the old, tired cliches than get off thier asses and come up with something decent.

Probably cheaper to film in dark sets, too. Gotta maximize the profits! Baby needs a new pound of Coke!

It’s an interesting idea, but it’s unfortunately not true. Although there may be certain thematic similarities between RDA (Avatar) and Weylan-Yutani, the two are separate companies and exist in separate universes.
Gatopescado, your conclusions about a movie made in 1979 ripping off movies made before 1955 are demonstrably untrue. I somehow doubt you mean to discuss that, though. Do you have anything useful to add or was your blindingly original “movie producers like cocaine, hur, hur” the height of your insight?

I recently bought and have been watching the Alien Quadrilogy. The first four “official” movies.
What seems weird to me is that in the Alien future, (almost) everybody smokes!

Perhaps Weylan-Yutani found cures for cancer and high blood pressure on one of those distant planets.

**Sleeper **lives!

Just wait until they [del]admit to[/del] invent the cancer free ciggie.

#1. They seem to function just fine.
#2. Because we’re seeing people in work clothes.
#3. Who was bored out of their minds?
#4. I think they only went to that planet twice.

Interesting Sci-Fi concept. And I kind of liked the whole space travel is boring and the ship is dirty and most of the crew are just regular cow workers and the company is out to screw everybody over vibe. All it was missing were some late TPS reports.

As I worked through the first two movies I kept watching for the answer to this question but didn’t see it addressed.
Was the space jockey/xenomorphs the first extraterrestrial life forms encountered by earth dwellers?

I’m just going on memory and memories of impressions but the vibe I recall is that these encounters and the crashed space ship were, if not the first, still a pretty big deal.

I’ve been watching the marathon here and there too. I’ve previously never seen anything after Aliens as I was instantly turned off when I learned they killed off Newt and Hicks first thing in the third movie.

So, catching a bit of Alien: Resurrection (not having seen the third one), my question is: Um…WHAT the FUCK?!

Hudson talks about the mission being “another” bug hunt, so I’m guessing not.