A former NASA engineer creates a glitter- and stink-bomb trap for package thieves

I think the choice of glitter revenge was inspired. Glitter is the herpes of the craft world. You never get rid of it.

If you wanted to, um, up your game a bit you could substitute an automatic sprayer containing putrescine or cadaverine for your bait package. Both of those reportedly smell a lot worse than synthetic fart spray (though I suspect you’d need a legitimate research I.D. to order them from the supplier).

Yeah, vigilantism. :rolleyes:

What’s the worst you could legally get away with? Pepper spray is probably out? What sort of dye is most permanent? Serious, fuck these people. If they opened the package while driving and crashed their cars I wouldn’t care one iota as long as they didn’t injure someone else.

The only criticism I have is I wish he was using biodegradable glitter. The ‘you never get rid of it’ reputation of the herpes of the craft world also applies environmentally; I mean it’s basically just thousands of tiny sparkly plastic particles, we should probably be cutting down on throwing that randomly around the place.

contemplates life choices
Hilarious!

How about using expanding foam insulation? 20lbs produces 9 cubic feet of rigid foam.

https://www.fibreglast.com/product/2_Lb_Polyurethane_Mix_and_Pour_Foam_24_25/Foam?gclid=CjwKCAiA9efgBRAYEiwAUT-jtAjc3LkwMlryTUphLHOzqi2tbOrSVjdq_Y00NG-Q3WuFvKAPba_s8xoCZ0oQAvD_BwE

I think cadaverine is used in perfumery…

https://pellwall.com/product/cadaverine/

If that’s the stuff I’m thinking of. It sticks to absolutely everything and is nearly impossible to clean up.

My same reaction. I loved this video! I was disappointed when it ended.

Thief opens it in his very tiny car and suffocates.

That’s not a bug, that’s a feature.

I’d like to see some sort of compressed air/CO2 cartridge setup to really spread the glitter.

Or a really big box that could hold a metric shit-ton of glitter.

I love it, but if a thief were injured I’m sure there would be a lawsuit.

Anyone can sue over just about anything; *winning *is something else again.

First thing you would have to do in court is get the judge to stop laughing.

Sure, it’s fun and all, but doesn’t it seem to be a bit…much?

Six months of R&D, four cell phones (and plans!) custom printed circuit board, spinner motor, 3D printed box, fart spray motor, fart spray.

All that time and money to non-permanently punk some people you’ll never meet, who aren’t going to stop stealing packages. Hell, they’re probably telling their friends the story and laughing.

And all that assuming they don’t remember where they got the package and hunt you down.

They’d have to admit to the theft.

At the end if the video he hawks a VPN service, so I think the whole point of the exercise was to make a video that would go viral so he can earn affiliate fees from any sales.

Yes, he is a successful Youtube content produce (4 some million subscribers), so paid sponsorships and ads are how he makes money. This is no different from saying that the whole point of a popular TV show is to sell commercials. You can debate all day if the creative or capitalist motive comes first, but making a profit doesn’t have to detract from the enjoyability of the content.

Plus he’s an engineer! What do you think he’d be doing if he wasn’t tinkering on this project? He’d be tinkering on another project, is what.