A good idea to buy a rural lot in AZ?

A close friend of mine (no, it’s not me, I wouldn’t pull that stuff) keeps talking about buying a place between Tombstone and Bisbee, and planting a trailer. He wants to get a job as a cowboy character at Tombstone (paid in cash & tips from the quick-draw matches, no taxes :dubious: .) He wants to get a couple of horses, too. Even though he’s never had horses, he thinks that’s a pretty simple thing. EddyTeddyFreddy might weigh in on that part.

I’m in Indiana, where you can sink a well nearly anywhere and find water. I’ve read that Arizona is quite different, in that respect. My friend says, “It’s no big deal, you get water delivered in a barrel.”

While I don’t deny that I’m a daft Hoosier, and I don’t know squat about Arizona, his scheme seems utterly, completely, fing nuts. Please fill in the blanks. I don’t mind if you think I’m wrong, just 'splain it to me.

Thank you.

That area of AZ is so desolate, you’d have to be plum nuts to want to do what your friend is wanting to do…If he was independently wealthy, I’d say sure! Hire a company to dig you a VERY deep well and have at it. However, if he’s just going to be a tomestone actor, how’s he going to afford the feed for the horses he wants? Heh! Good luck tonto…He’s better off living in Tuscan, or Oracle…they are not too far from where he’s going, you can practically throw a rock from Bisbee to Mexico.

Trust us.

He’d be far better off planting a trailer in Flagstaff, or even Sedona, and commuting to Tombstone.

About 20 miles west of Tombstone is an area that bills itself as “Arizona’s Wine Country”. http://www.nogaleschamber.com/sonoita.htm While not exactly “lush”, it’s considerably greener and milder than the areas that surround Tombstone and Bisbee, mostly because it’s nearly up a mile in elevation. It’s probably is a lot more conducive to “plopping down a trailer next to a horse pen” living.

Course, land there is likely a bit more expensive, so maybe that’s why your buddy is looking where he is…

• There’s lots of US states where you can buy land for <$100 an acre, but the reason is that the area the land is in is way-the-hell off and gone, in the middle of nowhere. Usually you can get electricity and phone service, but often there’s no water or sewer service at all. Sometimes access is a dirt-road only. …And usually, there’s nothing at all in the way of jobs available locally. Which is the reason the land is up for sale.
        ~