A HazMat Warning might have been nice, geez!

I was whipping up a chicken curry for dinner tonight, but instead of using my usual Thai green-curry paste, I found a packet of an Indian curry mix that I’d bought recently.

Deciding on the latter, I stir-fried some onions and garlic and added the (dried) Indian mix to the pan, when WHEEEEW, SHEEEEESH, COUGH COUGH HACK HACK PHEEWWWWWWW…as the mix heated it set off the most virulently hot-curried fumes throughout the kitchen and into my (and The Blokes) lungs. Turning on the exhaust fan didn’t do squat and we spent a good 1/2 hour coughing our guts up!! I think I blew a pfoofer valve in the process!

Bloody hell, a warning on the pack might’a been warranted…as in, ‘DON’T USE THIS SUBSTANCE WITHOUT A BIOHAZARD CANOPY OVERHEAD’ or ‘OPEN YER DOORS AND WINDOWS AND RUN FOR YOUR LIFE AS SOON AS ADDED TO COOKING INGREDIENTS’. :rolleyes:

But by golly, after all that tumult, it was a damned good curry :smiley:

I cook Szechuan on a regular basis with lots of garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and/or chili paste and/or chopped green hot peppers (jalapenos). I learned a while ago to add those at arm’s length (usually the first things to go into the hot oil).

Ugh, I’ve done the exact thing with a packet of dry Indian spice mix. Then the super-sensitive “I’m detecting browning” smoke alarm goes off and I’m running around trying to breathe properly and pull the alarm from high up on the wall where it’s mounted, and yank the battery out.