A Little Bit of PanAm Lives On!

Check this out-Imagine the looks you get from fellow travellers, as you pack your PanAm travel bag in the overhead!

I wonder how much nostalgia there is for Pan American Airlines-too bad their revival didn’t go off!

As a former Pan Am employee I was interested…but the prices seem rather high for the apparent quality of the goods (perhaps they are higher quality than what appears from the description).

I have a couple of vintage PanAm bags. For a long, long time I had one from the '60s. We flew PanAm when we moved to Japan, and that bag was either mine or my sister’s. It’s possible I still have it in a box in the storage unit; but as I recall, the zipper was broken.

For me, PanAm was always the American airline.

ralph: I’ve seen those bags in a shop in downtown Seattle.

The PanAm name and logo got revived a couple years ago - as a RAILROAD. Guilford and Springfield Terminal freight companies merged and their new president was surprisingly a big aviation buff, and so bought the rights to the name and Pan Am Railways was born. They recently merged with Norfolk Southern and are now Pan Am Southern. The Amtrak Downeaster train that runs to Portland Maine uses Pan Am trackage in ME and NH.

I’ve seen those bags in the gift shop of the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. Pricey, but they seemed to be of fairly high quality.

Don’t forget, PanAm was featured prominently in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Rather a pity PamAm didn’t survive to 2001!

I’m taking a weekend trip in June. I know what bag I’m taking! :smiley:

(One of the vintage ones. I don’t have a reproduction. Maybe I should get one?)

Apparently the name has also been used by several regional airlines over the years.

I saw them there last week, too!

You could get the zipper repaired easily.

We should meet for coffee.

If you need any coffee.

They used to sell those bags at the Smithsonian store at the airport where I work. I did a double take when I saw them! I’ve also seen an aircraft done up in Pan Am colors on the taxiway a couple years ago. I figured it was for a movie or something…

Bumped.

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich. carries Pan Am gear too: http://giftshop.thehenryford.org/catalogsearch/result/?q=pan+am

I bought one a couple of years ago. It’s good quality, both materials and workmanship. More than one person has commented on it.

If I remember right the Pan Am logo survives at Epcot center although the name has been removed.

I see these frequently in New Hampshire and Maine:
http://www.panamrailways.com/index.php?main_page=gallery&zenid=mm9pqlefj2kvreeifql3nsiqn7

Once at site, click to enter gallery.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Pan Am, as it was my freedom bird out of Vietnam. It was a beautiful sight when it touched down.

The defunct TV show “Pan Am” used to film at Long Island MacArthur Airport in Islip, NY. They had a borrowed jet painted in Pan Am colors for filming. I used to work on an aircraft parked nearby and got a kick out of seeing Pan Am come back to life. My Dad worked for them in the 60’s-80’s.

What does any of this have to do with arts and culture, anyway?

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia for defunct brands.

Apparel for American Motors and International Harvester.
http://planethoustonamx.com/amx_parts/amc_parts.htm

I assume that Chrysler and Navistar, respectively, have liscenced these products.