A morbid thought: who can stand to be forgotten?

The people who are obligated to care by blood (family) would probably miss me. I guess. Probably my brother. The rest will probably be happy to not have to deal with my antique tractor hobby anymore.

Otherwise…not really. I’ve got very few friends, and they’ve got their own lives to worry about. They contact me when there’s no one else to talk to. What’s funny, is I’d do anything for 'em. Never any girlfriends, so, yeah.

It’s amazing when you go to a funeral/viewing of a good neighbor…and there is a line around the block of people who want to give one last goodbye. Waiting for an hour or more just to get inside.

Mine will last five minutes. Tops.

I’m one of those people who gets seen, but not noticed. I know how bad that sounds, but it’s true.

My beautiful partner would be very unhappy and would, I think, give up on living here and move back to Japan. He can’t stand being alone, and I doubt if he would have the patience to try to find a new partner.

Other than that, I suppose my sister would be sad for a while, and pray for my soul :rolleyes: since I will have died without accepting Jesus as my personal savior.

I sometimes wonder about the people at work. I have been at this company for 28 years; times are tough and a lot of people have left, perforce or otherwise. I have one pretty good friend left, and any number with whom I work on very friendly terms, but without any social contact outside work. I think if I fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, the only time my name would come up would be the following:

Darn! Roddy used to do that, and no-one else knows how.
Darn! Roddy would have known that and could have warned us ahead of time.
Darn! Roddy could have gotten me that report in a day, and IT is taking weeks!

I take, as my evidence, reactions when I get back from vacation. “Oh, I’m so glad you’re back, I have this thing I need you to do for me.” I must be good at hiding my feelings because they’re looking right at my face and can’t tell how deep this cuts.
Roddy

I have the nickname MIA. You know, Missing In Action. I tend to “disappear” off the face of the Earth sometimes. It’s hard to tell everyone I am moving out of state for a while so some never get notice.

As for what they talk about while I’m gone. I honestly believe they are more worried about their own lives. I don’t consider myself to be the most influential role-model of the bunch, more the pain-in-the-ass that comes around when you least expect it. But I am the life of the party and the organizer so me not around means you’re party will only have a few people, rather than a few hundred.

When I’m gone, people will miss my spunk, easygoingness, and sense of humor and ran-dumb-ness more than anything.

Can I just say that this one post sums up exactly why I want to go into the teaching profession?

Thank you.

Now, don’t talk like that, George Bailey!

Btw, could you link to a pic of your wife?

d&r

I have done a lot of thinking about this. After I am gone, I only want people to think “He was a good man” and perhaps “he may not have always succeeded, but he tried”. I am frankly not sure if anyone besides my daughters will remember me in that way. I hope that they will at least.