A mushroom is not a fucking garden vegetable!

I had neighbors as a kid who grew mushrooms. They were, however, very strange people.

Did you know that yeast is a type of fungus?

So, every time you eat bread or drink beer, you’re eating that godawful stuff.

Sorry to disillusion you, man.

Ahem . . . and out come the food snobs as usual around here. Current thinking seems to be that canned/jarred tomatoes are actually healthier, and some of the jarred sauces are pretty damn tasty. Also quicker and less expensive. It’s not as if jar-sauce users are eating chicken mcnuggets or doritos and mayonaise for dinner.

I’m not Frylock, but I’ll be happy to contribute.

Fry up a pound of ground beef (or bison) with a diced onion. Drain and set aside.

Smoosh up a clove or two of garlic, and lightly brown in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add 2 8oz cans of unseasoned tomato paste and an equal (or slightly greater) amount of water. Stir. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 bay leaf, a palmful each of basil and rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Optionally, add toe fungus and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and add the meat mixture. Simmer for 30-60 minutes.

Serve.

Enjoy.

Aren’t bellpeppers fruits, not vegetables?

oh anf friedo they shot old yeller too.

I don’t think we have to condemn the entire fungal diaspora.

Oh. Yeah. That’s my quick sauce. I was talking about when I start with fresh tomatoes.
EDIT: Of course that’s not “my” exact quick sauce. I would never use that much rosemary! Blech! :slight_smile:

I’ve never had much luck with fresh tomatoes. Maybe I just don’t have the patience.

It’s “fun” but I only do it on weekends because it takes forever. It’s also more expensive and I swear it’s usually different than most jarred sauces but I wouldn’t call it wildly better or worse. I mean, what do people think they do to the jarred stuff? Piss and fart in it?

Of course not, not always. But I’ve had a few brands where that may have improved the taste. Actually, some are good and some are crap, and the ones I consider crap are usually way too acidic. That’s my personal taste, of course.

A few weeks ago my GF got Trader Joe’s marinara sauce. She hated it, and she’s something of a TJ fanatic.

Mmmmmm, delicious fungus-y orbs of organic spores stuck together by the vegetative equivalent of dried snot…I’ll take your share, Liberal.

Well, you gotta find a brand you like. Then it usually needs a bit of salt, pepper, and minced garlic, a good-quality ground beef, browned with chopped onions and a little bit of seasoning salt. Serve over spaghetti and top with parmesean and powdered garlic. I challenge anyone to not enjoy that meal, and it costs nothing, can be done in about 12 minutes, and leaves leftovers for lunch the next day.

Raw mushrooms are okay. Cooked mushrooms are like overcooked slimy tentacle. Actually, I enjoy sushi, so I’d probably eat overcooked slimy tentacle with more gusto than mushrooms. Blech!

Well, you have to let it curdle first.

You must master these passions, Doctor McCoy. They will be the death of you.

I’ve posted about this before, but it bears repeating:

Red sauces made with fresh tomatoes are generally inferior to the same sauces made with canned tomatoes not because of recipe or cooking technique but because of the quality of the ingredient. For all but a transcendent couple of weeks in the summer, grocery store tomatoes are hothouse grown and trucked in from elsewhere. They are grown to survive shipment, and to look firm, red, and shiny in the produce-section bin. Taste and texture are low priorities, because you can’t judge taste and texture in the store before making your purchase. In short, these tomatoes are grown to sell, not to be any good to eat.

Canned tomatoes, by contrast, don’t have to look like anything at all. And except for that very brief period when you can get fresh tomatoes grown in your zip code and picked only a few hours beforehand (or if you have a vegetable garden yourself), canned tomatoes almost invariably taste better than fresh, and feel better in the mouth.

Experienced cooks know this. Not only are we not embarrassed to use canned tomatoes in our red sauce, we are a little smug about it, and quietly contemptuous of the wannabes who crow stupidly about using only fresh, and thus reveal that they don’t have a clue.

Oh, and commenting on the broad, blunt-instrument flavor profile of the typical canned red sauce: Over and above the tomatoes, salt, and stale herbs, I taste industrial sugar. Yech.

Smegma? How crass.

Can we at least refer to it by it’s more genteel name: Fromunda Cheese

I just want to note that my wife just made a phenomenal pot of mushroom-barley soup for dinner.

Also, mushrooms and onions are the only toppings I’ll accept on pizza. So there.

Sorry, just can’t get behind this one.

Call me back if you ever decide to get medieval on bell peppers.

Or avacados. shudders