A new "Finish the" story will start this Wednesday, use this thread for Q&A

To start with, reverse the initials.

Completely without calculations, just a feeling, I think that as you move a distance X into a sphere of mass M and radius R (solid or homogeneously honeycombed) the gravity would appear as whatever mass is encompassed by the radius (R - X). The near mass “above” attracting upward would be cancelled by the more mass “below” attracting downward. Lateral masses would cancel.

• Slow board, work, and intermittent connection problems made this the first time I saw this request for information. Sorry.

Can we settle on the spelling “Sykoft”?

“Skysoft” makes me think of that little teddy bear on the Downy commercials plopping down from the sky on some soft towels - and then being skewered to a wall and disemboweled. :smiley:

In post #1, I called it a Sykoft. (I think) I pronounce it in my head as SIGH COUGHED

Who want s to do a recap? Just the new characters and major plot points. If no one else does, I’ll do one this evening.

The well developed themes of religious hysteria and bigotry are driving much of what I predict to be in the future of this story (hint). And is M’Artel a bad guy? Or is he being used? If so, how? The Cowd-M’Artel link will be further developed in one of my next posts (hint).

I’ll so with the original spelling of Skykoft from now on, although I would mind disemboweling that cutesy teddy bear! :stuck_out_tongue:

I meant to keep up with a recap but havent. Maybe we both can. It would be interesting to see what two different digests look like.

I personally don’t think M’Artel is a bad guy, I think he’s being used somehow. Some kind of mental possesion, if he actually killed the woman(timing seems off for the Skykoft). But how did the woman get there? Was she unobserved? Wayre this is taking us I’m not sure. :smiley:

I think someone with political motives is using the religious clashes for their own ends. Northern Ireland, or the Middle East, anyone.

M’Artel, besides his religious and science studies, was, on order of the Council of Forsetti, supposed to “bring the military science of the Xavvians back into the pouch of the Mother. Only then can progress be made.” So if religious antagonism impedes that, it may be a problem for the Xavvians. BTW, Tobermory/q’Stant’Lit will not have taken the throne yet, and I still think the uncle he supplanted in the line of succession may harbor resentment.

{hitting your head with a wet noodle} The original spelling is “Sykoft” (6 current occurances). The next is “Skysoft” (7 current occurances). The spelling “Skykoft” has never occurred. Please use “Sykoft”. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Yes, Croner Case! :stuck_out_tongue:

ducks and runs

I hope you get those mallards out of your bathroom and get over that diarrhea.
[sub]Thanks for putting up with my pet peaves (and my bad puns) and having fun with me![/sub]

NCB, I’ve started on one of my detailed recaps. If you can wait until this time tomorrow, or Saturday morning, I’ll have it done. I’ll be able to make it available by email at need, and I will keep it up to date. Promise!

I have a great idea for an exchange between Kark and Cori if someone can manage to get them in one place.

My fault. Sometimes I wonder how I ever got to be a proofreader/editor.

The meeting shouldn’t be too hard to arrange. Cori is M’Artel’s lawyer/advocate, and Kark is the senior Security official overseeing his murder accusation. I’ll see what I can do, I’d been thinking about it anyway.

They’d have to be somewhere public, preferably with M’Artel and Robert around, for the full effect. :slight_smile:

Cowd and M’Artel.

Are they in cahoots?

Is Cowd using M’Artel?

Is M’Artel letting Cowd think he’s using him?

Is there a third party involved, either with one of them or over both?

I like the way it’s going so far. Even tho the crystals and Wayre and other trappings of the previous stories are mentioned, it’s more as a background, as if they were all taken for granted as we concentrate on the multiplicity (hint) of mysteries here.

Geez, youse guys! I was one post away from finishing the recap, and you go and lay three more on me. :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

I’m kidding you know! Great to see the new stuff. My next story post will be after 10:00 PM this evening.

ivylass wanted me to let the rest of the author’s in the story know she hasn’t forgotten them, but has been on an accelerated schedule at her job, due to the fact that Hurricane Ivan may mess things up again. She says she’s tired of this storm business, and that Ivan may bonk Florida on Monday. She really wants to try and get into the story this weekend.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that our fellow author doesn’t get blown away!

:smack: I should never post while sleepy! The typos in my latest story episode are awful.

Hey, NCB, we almost simulposted! I’m glad the two were not in conflict. I caught your Clint Eastwood quote. :stuck_out_tongue: Didja catch my movie quote? :smiley:

Well, you know, we humorless idiots have no other outlet than writing, since we lead such a drab and dreary existence. :wink:

We in the sunny (ha!) state of Florida are facing another hurricane, so I’ll post when I can.

Loved the setup, Ivy*.

FYI, I’m not planning on a bloodbath with this Kel, more of a wiseguy type of intimidation. Even so, do what you all want, except I would prefer none of the leads to be killed off as yet.

Good work ivylass. Don’t get blown away!

Good too, NCB. I was kind of wishing we could see some involvement with the regulars from 1&2.

Nice conflict there, Ivy. Be fun to see what a mad Tharn does to a Kitty Lover like Robert!