A New Name for Czech Republic

Why is there no short form? I mean we call it’s former partner Slovakia, not the Slovak Republic. Why not Czechia or Czechland?

Or Czechnoslovakia.

I have heard it referred to as Czechia by some Europeans.

How about “Kafkaland” or in the same vein, “The Country”.

How about Bohiemia?

Friends of mine who have relatives there (near Brno) usually just say “Czech,” as in “we’re going to Czech next month.”

My first guess would be “Because it’s a republic” same as we call the monarchy of the UK the United Kingdom and not UnitedLand or something.
From what I recall, “Bohemian” is Czech slang for, more or less, some big dumb guy or something so it’s not really what you’d want to call your country. I might be 100% wrong on this, it’s a vague memory of a newspaper article way back wehn Czechoslovokia broke up.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

My dictionary says “Bohemian” is an archaic word for the Czech language. IIRC the Czech republic is made up of Bohemia and Moravia. You could call the country Bohemia and Moravia in the same way that people refer to Trinidad and Tobago.

while we are on the topic (kind of) does anyone else think “The United States of America” is a dumb name for a country? (don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the USA) i mean, it’s more of a discription than a name. think if england was called “island in the atlantic”

eggo

A friend of mine calls it Czecho. Not a new thing; he says everyone in Rhodesia, where he grew up, called Czechoslovakia that, only now it is more appropriate. I call it Czecho sometimes, but people look at me funny. I think Bohemia-Moravia might be okay, but it might remind the locals too much of Austria-Hungary or Bosnia-Hercegovina.

How about Boravia?

As to the United States of America, it is kind a bland name, but I thought of a new problem. Sometimes Latin Americans don’t like it when Yanquis refer to their country as America, but calling it the United States is also kind of problematic, since there is at least one other “United States” in the Americas (namely, the United States of Mexico).

Plus, what do you call a U.S. citizen? “American” has the same problems as above, although I think it’s just fine, since everybody knows what an American is despite their political objections. Plus, “Unitedstatesian” just doesn’t sound right. Although I use “Unitedstatesian” sometimes just to be funny.

Isn’t the USA the only country to OFFICIALLY use the word American in it’s offical name?

What’s wrong with the Czech Republic. We already have:

The Central African Republic
The United States of America
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
The Netherlands (which literally means: “All that land over there”), which was formerly known as “The United Provinces”
The Holy See (official name of the Vatican)
The Republic of the Congo
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (different than above)
The United Arab Emirates

We have several nations that are already not just “-ia” or “-land” or whatever, and for which there is no equivalent for (beyond an abbreviation). Chances are you live in one of them. I personally don’t see what’s wrong with calling it “The Czech Republic.”

Jason R Remy

“No amount of legislation can solve America’s problems.”
– Jimmy Carter (1980)

I’ll definitely Czech into this further.

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post

I can see Czech Republic, but then let me ask - Why not the Slovak Republic? (instead of Slovakia). The UAE, The USA, The CAR, don’t have a unique qualifier as does the Czech Republic.

By the way is the word “The” capitalized in the above mentioned countries.

The Rubber Czechs!

Cause they gonna bounce back, people!

It is a misconception that Canadians balk at the use of the word “American” to describe a citizen of the United States. According to The Globe and Mail Style Book, we do use American to mean “of the United States”, although we do not use America to mean the United States.

If it interests anyone, the Esperanto word “Usono” means the US, the adjective is “usona” and an inhabitant is “usonano”. The same for the Czech Rep. are “C^eh^io”, “c^eh^a”, and “c^eh^o”. (Where you see a circumflex, it is placed over the preceding consonant.)

The simple answer is: That is what they want us to call them. The official name of the country, translated to English is: The Czech Republic.

That, however, alone, is not enough. We call England England, not the Kingdom of England and North Ireland. We call France France, not the Republic of France or The French Republic.

Likely, we call it the Czech Republic because there is no prior name in common usage to attach to it. The country comprises what used to be provinces known as Moravia, Bohemia and Silesia. In the late first millenium, there was a kingdom called Moravia in that area, ended by the Magyars during the early 900’s. In the early second millenium, there was a kingdom called Bohemia there, quite a powerful one at times. Eventually, the area was absorbed into the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, then ‘liberated’ into the country Czechoslovakia (land of the Czechs and Slovaks). Fortunately, the Czechs and Slovaks seem a bit better able to divorce themselves than the Southern Slavs.

Therefore, there never having been a name equating to ‘Land of the Czechs’ we appear ready to adopt the formal name. With time, usage may cause us to adopt something else, though please note that, even after 200 plus years, very few call this country just America, prefering the name we have attached to it: The United States (of America). Beats being called the Evil Empire.

Actually, we call England “England”, but we call the whole country “The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”, or “The U.K.” for short. It is incorrect, both officially and colloquially, to call the whole country “England” or “Britain” Both refer to a subset of the sovereign state which is The United Kingdom. (Incedentally, The United Kingdom covers England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as well as the Isle of Man, and the Isles of Jersey and Guernsey. Britain ONLY refers to England Scotland and Wales, three of the semi-autonomous parts of the sovereign state “The U.K.” All of the other parts of the U.K are not part of Britain. Likewise “England” refers only to the part of the Isle of Britain “roughly” south of the river Clyde and east of the river Severn (this is very aproximate boundries). Calling the U.K. “England” is like calling the Czech Republic “Bohemia”, it is entirely incorrect.

Jason R Remy

“No amount of legislation can solve America’s problems.”
– Jimmy Carter (1980)

I think a native of the United States should be an “Usan” pronounced with a short “u”. Then non-US citizens could be called you’uns.

Absolutely correct.

As far as it goes.

UNFORTUNATELY, there IS an England. The ‘United Kingdom’ is a union of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, Wales, etc. However, England is still a political entity separate and distinct from, say, Scotland, where, incidently, they just set up their new Parliament (legislature). And England does not have boundaries ‘roughly south of the River Clyde and east of the River Severn,’ it has a very specific boundary from Scotland as well as a very specific boundary from Wales.

However, the point about England being a subset of a country called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is correct, and I accept that there is no specific Kingdom of England since the Act of Union.