A poll on name usage

Go to hell! You’re ‘Twinklepants’ from now on!

Naw, you need to call people whatever they want, though if it’s ridiculous you can still laugh behind their back.

1. To me it often seems friendly - 'hey, we are going to have continued conversations, so you should call me by my name and not this thing you made up or what was used wrongly when we were introduced." Though there are occations where it does seem awkward and forced.

2. Same.

3. Full first name

4. A few family members still use the diminuative, but its almost rare now even from my parents. Aunts and Uncles use it though - I don’t see them often enough for any habitual switch to happen (and since my one aunt has three daughters that are all in their 40s and still all use the “y” form of their names - understandable).

1) How would you feel about such a request? (Would it seem rude, unfriendly, reasonable, etc.) Seems reasonable to me. It is his name, I’ll call him whatever he wants.
2) Would your answer to the first question change if Robert had asked you to use Rob rather than Robert? How so? No.
3) What form of your name do you tend to use? (Full first name, shortened, diminutive, etc.) Look at the name Jonathan Smith. If that were my name I would not allow Jonnie, but would allow Jon or Jonathan. If neither are acceptable then I will allow Mr. Smith.
4) Do you use different forms with different people? I use whatever form the person seems to want. I often ask: Do you prefer Jon, or Jonathan?

I have a hard enough time keeping up with the whole remember-the-name-that-goes-with-the-face thing – what’s a few more landmines along the road toward social correctness? :slight_smile:

1) How would you feel about such a request? (Would it seem rude, unfriendly, reasonable, etc.)
No problem. I have, for example, a couple of guys I’m acquainted with named Trev, and another couple named Trevor. There’s an entry for each one in the ol’ mental file cabinet which tells me to use/don’t use that second syllable for each one.

2) Would your answer to the first question change if Robert had asked you to use Rob rather than Robert? How so?
No change. So far, I’ve been able to pick up on the clues around me, ie. what other folk call the person, and how they react. If I’m informal and they want more formal, that’s no worries.

3) What form of your name do you tend to use? (Full first name, shortened, diminutive, etc.)
Diminuitive, but in my case I was known by the diminuitive of my full name before I was born. Still not sure whether Mum knew the name she called me in the womb was the dimuitive of the grander full name, and now it’s too late to ask short of a séance. I don’t mind use of my full name, but it kinda feels too official. Like I’m in deep trouble, or about to get bad news from the tax department.

*4) Do you use different forms with different people?]/i]
Nah. Most folk call me by my familiar, diminuitive name. Some even shorten the two syllables down to one, which I consider really cool. Those are folk who feel comfortable around me, and have known me a long, long time. I’ve heard variations, but most are still cool. Takes me a while to realise they mean me, though! :slight_smile:

Questions:

1. How would you feel about such a request? (Would it seem rude, unfriendly, reasonable, etc.)

Perfectly reasonable.

1. Would your answer to the first question change if Robert had asked you to use Rob rather than Robert? How so?

Not at all

1. What form of your name do you tend to use? (Full first name, shortened, diminutive, etc.)

My name is Carol and I usually go by Carol. Some people call me Caz and that’s ok too - but I don’t like being called Caroline (many, many people call me that) because it’s not my name, it’s not on my birth certificate, I don’t identify with it and I feel like they’re talking to someone else.

1. Do you use different forms with different people?

I would if my name lent itself to that. I think it’s nice to have an informal name that can be used with family and friends, and a formal name that can be used on occasions when you want to be taken seriously as an adult.

1) How would you feel about such a request? (Would it seem rude, unfriendly, reasonable, etc.)
I think it’s perfectly reasonable. You should call someone by the name they prefer.

2) Would your answer to the first question change if Robert had asked you to use Rob rather than Robert? How so?
Nope.

3) What form of your name do you tend to use? (Full first name, shortened, diminutive, etc.)
I have a formal given name, but use a nickname that is not the usual nickname for my given name. Friends and co-workers use my nickname. No one uses my given name. It’s on all my ID and such, but I don’t use it on a daily basis.

4) Do you use different forms with different people?
My brother-in-law and my nieces use an extremely shortened version of my nickname that no one else uses. Basically, it’s one letter, but it works. My older niece started using it when she was a toddler and couldn’t pronounce my name. It’s one of those things that’s just stuck.