A Poll...Thanksgiving food preferences

There’ve been some develoments. At the buffet last night (Thursday night) in Bourbon Street Restaurant, the gravy had giblets in it, and it was good. I had both the roasted and deep-fried turkey; both were good, but the deep-fried had Cajun spices, so I liked it better.

1. Gravy, giblets — my family of origin, yes. Me, no.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry — jellied

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside — traditional cornbread or wild-rice based, outside the bird. No freaking oysters (no vanilla ice cream or watermelon, either… oysters??? Never would have occurred to me)

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried — oven-roasted

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole — I do mashed for my girlfriend, my family of origin does despicable things to sweet potatoes, potatoes aren’t really a part of the thanksgiving picture for me.

The stuff you left out:

1. Butternut squash, pureed with butter and black pepper. This one’s mandatory. If I’m doing thanksgiving there has to be butternut squash.

2. Ambrosia (traditional, nothin’ but oranges and coconut)

3. Peas and other vegetables —traditional in my family but not easy to find up here in NY are peas (not the green kind like you make split-pea soup from but purple hull, spring, blackeye, crowder, that kind of thing); I do green beans (not in a casserole just steamed); corn (off the cob, split kernel not whole kernel); lima beans or butter beans. Turnips or rutabagas. Turnip greens or mustard greens or kale.

4. Beverages: Mulled spiced apple cider. Iced tea. Coffee.

5. Desserts. To my family of origin, it’s all about the desserts. Pumpkin pie, of course, and homemade ice cream (2 different flavors usually); coconut cream pie; pecan pie; blueberry cobbler; german chocolate cake; spice cake; candied fruit cake; pistachio frozen bars; teacakes; pound cake; etc.;

6. Extraneous salads and pickles. More family-of-origin stuff. Unmentionably weird things done with jello. fruit salad. pear and walnut salad. pickled peaches. watermelon rind pickles. homemade dills; cucumber salad; strange concoctions with coconut and little tiny marshmallows.

1. Gravy, giblets or not
    By all means giblets. I will not get into the chopped egg debate again, however.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry
    It just ain’t Thanksgiving without that twoopsh sound of jellied cranberry sauce. I do like the whole berry kind too.

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside
    Southerner here. It’s dressing made with cornbread. Though, I’ve had oyster stuffing before and liked it.

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried
    As long as it’s turkey, I’m good.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole
    Hash brown casserole is just wrong. I love candied sweet potatoes. Mashed potatoes are a good thing at Thanksgiving because it gives me sump’n else to put gravy on!

1. Gravy
    none
  2. Cranberry sauce
    jellied
  3. Stuffing
    Stove Top, outside the bird
  4. Turkey
    Cornish hen, roasted
  5. Potatoes
    white mashed.

Turkey - roasted
Gravy… usually from a deli but this year it came from a can (sorry, I just cant make good gravy!)
white smashed taters
cornbread stuffing (got hooked on it since moving to the south) - but this year tried a new one: Apple-raisin stuffing & it was good!
green bean casserole (skipped it this year)
strawberry pretzel salad (whats wrong with you southerners? - this does NOT go on the dessert table!) - a family tradition
Pumpkin dump cake, pumpkin pie (not a big coolwhip person)

We’re having dinner this weekend…
roast turkey
mashed potatoes
yams 'cause I like them
carrots with cinnamon and honey
chocolate cheesecake, homemade
pumpkin and lemon pie, courtesy of MIL

We’re having dinner this weekend…
roast turkey
mashed potatoes
yams 'cause I like them
carrots with cinnamon and honey
chocolate cheesecake, homemade
pumpkin and lemon pie, courtesy of MIL
stuffing, no oyster (they’re $1.25 EACH here!)

oh, and gravy, of course.

1. Gravy, giblets or not
  2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry
  3. Stuffing, oysters or not, **inside the bird ** or outside
  4. Turkey, **roasted ** or deep fried
  5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole
  1. Chicken gravy actually. We make the broth for the dressing(stuffing), and the majority of the family prefers chicken gravy.

2. whole berry cranberry sauce

3. We generally make a pan of plain dressing and one of oyster. This year we only had plain. Never inside the turkey. My aunt and uncle cook the turkey, and we do the dressing.

4. Roasted turkey

5. White mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes

1. Gravy, giblets or not - Not. Those are for the stuffing.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry. No freaking way.

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside. No oysters, inside the bird and whatever is left over outside the bird.

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried. Roasted.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole. White mashed.

The only thing I eat is the turkey and the spuds. I hate cranberry sauce so we don’t buy it. I make all the gravy in our house, which is odd, since I hate gravy. Eggs in gravy? Never heard of such a thing.

Mr.stretch does the stuffing and he uses the giblets and chantrelle mushrooms for that.

1. No giblets
  2. Whole berry or home made
  3. Not, both
  4. Roasted
  5. Whole sweet and whole white. And squash.
  1. No giblets. I make KILLER turkey gravy–simmer the giblets and neck while the turkey cooks. Throw the boiled out stuff away (or give them to the cat), and add the giblet stock to the pan drippings. Make a roux of turkey fat and flour, stir in drippings and giblet stock . . . heaven awaits.

2. Jellied. Preferably with the can lines still on the big hunk of yumminess.

3. Never oysters. Sausage, apples and mushrooms go in my brother’s legendary stuffing.

4. Roasted, please. We fried it one year, and there were no gravy makings!

5. White mashed. Lots of butter and cream. And in this neck of the woods, sweet potatoes are out–squash is in. Mashed and buttered.

Don’t forget the peas, creamed onions, pumpkin pie and football game!

1. Gravy, giblets or not - definitely giblet gravy
  2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry - ** canned jellied**
  3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside - ** no oysters! dressing outside now, though I used to stuff the bird. Alton Brown now rules my turkey!**
  4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried - roasted
  5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole - white mashed