A Poll...Thanksgiving food preferences

1. Gravy, giblets or not

Eww, no giblets

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry

Ocean Spray Jellied all the way, get those nasty berries out of there

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside

In or out, both are good but I prefer in. There better not be any oysters in my stuffing.

My ex once made a stuffing with chestnuts. Nasty stuff that was.

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried

Roasted. I have had it deep fried though and it was pretty good but just not “Thanksgivingy” enough for me.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole

White mashed and loaded with gravy.

1. I can’t stand gravy
  2. Jellied cranberry sauce. The highlight of the meal.
  3. Stuffing, no oysters. Usually outside.
  4. Roasted turkey. Too many calories in deep fried.
  5. Baked.
  1. Gravy: 1/2 canned, 1/2 pan drippings.
  2. Nope.
  3. HELL no.
  4. Breast only; brined, then grilled.
  5. Instant garlic mashed.

This is the first T-Day that I’ve been able to spend with my son in the last 4 years, so we’re kinda winging it.*

• :smiley:

**1. Gravy, giblets or not **Giblets are icky. Plain gravy.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry Cranberries are icky. No cranberries.]

**3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside **Oysters are icky. Stuffing inside or outside bird - doesn’t matter.

**4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried **Either. It isn’t icky, it just is ok. It’s turkey - it ain’t like it’s a porterhouse (which would be SWEET).

**5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole **Sweet are icky. White mashed.

1. Gravy, giblets or not - as long as I can’t see them or don’t know what they are, it doesn’t matter to me whether there are giblets or not.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry - whole berry. The jellied stuff freaks me out. My mom makes a fantastic cranberry chutney with pecans, oranges and spice.

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside - no oysters, outside the turkey (it never seems to get cooked fully unless you cook the turkey to within an inch of its life), with sausage, sage and cornbread.

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried - roasted. I’ve had fried turkey once and it was just too messy for the taste, which wasn’t much different from roasted only it had more oil. Ick.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole - I like regular sweet potatoes best without making them candied, maybe with some marshmallows on top. White mashed are good, too, especially if there’s a ton of garlic.

Gravy, and it’s gotta have the giblets.

Yuk…don’t care, keep it on your end of the table, please.

Love stuffing…never had it with oysters (I’d be willing to try), insude the bird AND outside (we all love stuffing).

Roasted. My MIL cuts slits in the skin prior to roasting, and raches underneath the skin to pre-baste with garlic/herb butter. Yum!

White mashed. Sweet Potatoes are yuk.

-Cem

1. No giblets-from a box with a few drippings spices dumped in.

2. Whole berry homemade jellied. It’s not that hard-there’s some chemical in the berries that jellies it naturally if you do it right. I use Epicurious’s triple cranberry recipe and it jellies properly every year.

3. Stuffing, no oysters, outside the bird because we brine. Stovetop. Helps my parents feel properly American :stuck_out_tongue:

4. Turkey, roasted

5. Potatoes, candied sweet with marshmallows and white mashed

What is a hash brown casserole?

1. No giblets.

2. Whole berry. My mom makes a really great cranberry sauce with apples in it.

3. No oysters in the dressing (why would you?), outside the bird. Granted, I usually don’t eat the stuffing because it has too many onions in it.

4. Roasted. I’ve never had fried. Smoked is good, though.

5. I like all potatoes. I could not choose between mashed with gravy and my sweet potato souffle (which I make—with real sweet potatoes of course—and bring every year).

1. Gravy: No giblets. Usually from a jar.
  2. Cranberry Sauce: Jellied. Usually from a can.
  3. Stuffing: Usually from a box with no extras, and outside the bird.
  4. Turkey: Roasted
  5. Potatoes: Both sweet (in some form) and white (mashed)

We’re just rolling in tradition and good food here, aren’t we? :slight_smile:

1. I’m pretty sure Mom puts the giblets in the gravy pan, but she doesn’t chop them up. They get fished out before they’re served.

2. Whole berry, homemade, with orange zest.

3. Stuffing, no oysters, both stuffed in the bird and an extra pan of dressing on the side. Dressing is vastly inferior to stuffing.

4. Brined and roasted.

5. I prefer no potatoes at all. My mother will sometimes make candied sweet potatoes, but I don’t eat them. I will eat mashed regular if they get made.

1. Not.
  2. Whole berry.
  3. No oysters, outside the bird.
  4. Roasted.
  5. A selection of all. :smiley:
  1. yes to giblets
  2. whole berry
  3. oysters are fine; definitely outside the bird
  4. roasted
  5. mashed & bourbon souffled

VCNJ~

1. I’m not a big fan of gravy unless it’s white and on biscuits.
  2. I like both varities but have a very slight preference for cranberry relish over the jellied sauce.
  3. I’m Southern and prefer dressing to stuffing. I’ve never had either with oysters or in the bird.
  4. Fried, I guess, though I’ve only had it once or twice.
  5. Sweet and in a pie.
  1. Not. I use the giblets to flavor the stuffing, but then discard them. I also boil the neck for stock to moisten the stuffing.

2. Whole berry, with a chopped up orange and some candied stuff.

3. No meat at all (but see #1). Inside the bird.

4. Roasted.

5. Sweet casserole, with brown sugar, sour cream, and brandy.

1. Gravy: no giblets.

2. Cranberry sauce: not our style.

3. Stuffing: oysters?! no. no oysters. outside the bird with tons of sage and onion.

4. Turkey: either one, depending on which side of the family I’m visiting. mmm, turkey.

5. Potatoes: mashed. sweet potatoes exist, but I refrain.

Tsk. Where are the green beans, corn bread, apple pie, and carrot cake on this list? Such a shame…

Gravy - no giblets, although they’re boiled and the broth used to make the roux.

Cranberries - Ick. Although my mother makes an almost palatable homemade one with oranges and nuts.

Stuffing - No oysters (Ick). No chestnuts (Ick). No cornbread (ick). Both in and out of the bird.

Turkey - Roasted. I like the skin the best.

Potatoes - real peeled and mashed spuds. The sweets are made into a casserole I don’t eat.

Green bean casserole made with cheddar cheese soup. Pie with fresh whipped cream.

StG

1. Gravy, giblets or not

My recipe replaces the giblets with hard-boiled eggs.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry

We have both. This promotes familial harmony. :slight_smile:

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside

Oysters in stuffing? I might be from the South, but no thanks. Outside the bird for us. Replace the oysters with sausage and then you will be getting close.

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried

We always roast one and smoke the other. Old Smokey is being caressed by wafts of hickory goodness as I type.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole

We have both mashed and candied sweet with marshmallows on top.

Of course, none of this would matter without the deviled eggs.

Jammer

1. Gravy, giblets or not? Yes please.

2. Cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry No thank you.

3. Stuffing, oysters or not, inside the bird or outside? No oysters. Drench it in gravy

4. Turkey, roasted or deep fried? Fried, just because I don’t much care for turkey and at least the frying process is entertaining.

5. Potatoes, candied sweet, white mashed, or hash brown casserole? White mashed, but hash brown casserole sounds good. What is it?

I am also curious about this hash brown casserole. I asked upthread but have not received a response as of yet.

Casseroles are always made with tinned soup, right?

I’m guessing the hash brown casserole is some variation of frozen hash browns (the cubed kind) mixed with canned cream of something soup, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.

I’m very curious about this giblet/hard boiled egg thing. Is this a regional variation? I’d never heard of it before reading it here.