A poster's join date doesn't invalidate/validate their position

Those are all plastic paddies.

Would you mind putting an extra coat of wax on before bringing the Bentley out front, newbie?

Bad posters aren’t being insulted because of the date they joined. What’s actually being implied is “How does an idiot like you manage to last of this board? Oh, I see, you haven’t lasted on this board. You just joined yesterday. So I can assume you’ll go away or be banned within a day or two and this just happens be the one week that you’re a poster on this board.”

We’re not saying all new posters are bad. We’re just saying that posters who are bad tend to eliminate themselves in the first month.

Yes sir.

Yeah, not all new posters are bad, but far, far too often a peddler or facilitator of woo, spouters of over the top rhetoric, bad spellers or users of almost unreadable grammar will magically juxtapose with a very recent join date.

I just brought the join date up in another thread: I was doing it because I thought the guy was a troll or sock. I’m sorry, it is suspicious when you just joined up this month and jump straight into a contentious topic, especially if you are using arguments that have been used before in similar threads. Especially when you post in a way to try and stir up an argument that isn’t quite happening yet.

Plus, in this case, it was in the Pit, so it was the first time I’d been able to directly say anything. And I’d been having a bad day, and wanted to let off some steam on an appropriate target.

Cute, aren’t they?

Too many threads are started by newbie fools thinking this is their place to hold forth. Frankly if we had a simple ‘can’t start threads until you’ve had 5 posts’ rule would got a long way towards eliminating that. Then you need to show you can participate in a discussion before starting one.

I don’t dismiss anyone’s post on the basis of their join date. I just enjoy the correlation between crazy-assed posting and brand new poster.

In my book, you earn the right to snark with your first post.

Absolutely not! The ability to link to a YouTube video signifies great knowledge that must be respected (for instance, this video proves that Obama is a Muslim alien).

This is absolutely, 100% true. People, not everybody argues in good faith. Take a moment to figure out if somebody isn’t acting in good faith before you spend hours trying to refute them.

Choosing not to respond to something outrageous does not make the outrageous thing seem more plausible, it’s the other way around.

So, they’re No True Irishmen?

Hell, no. Do you really think the nutcases would follow the rules? They’re on a Mission from God. So if they couldn’t start a new thread, they’d just post their screed in an existing thread on some unrelated topic.

But trolls are fun. You can poke them with sticks and they make noises.

Trolls can be fun. What’s annoying is the idiots who just post a screed and vanish, and their fellow-travelers who only post Youtube links.

I agree with this. I don’t mind going toe-to-toe with someone based on the merits of their posts. But if someone’s going to acccuse of me having, say, white guilt because they assume we’re all a bunch of white guys, this is going to annoy me. I’m likely to tell them to go sit their brand new ass down somewhere until they can figure out who’s who.

While I agree that it doesn’t invalidate factual positions*, it is incredibly common for new people to do stupid shit on this board (usually because they failed to lurk first and learn the culture and rules) and pointing at their join date is a legitimate point to make.

• Nor does making spelling or grammar errors, as at least one asshole on this board likes to think.

Hey, that’d be great, m’kay. And after you’ve done that, may I borrow your pencil? I just thought of something I’d like to do with it. :wink:

Sometimes an “evil grin” smiley would be really useful. Or an “angel”/“not me” one.

Remember - you can defeat both the Golden Age and the Silver Age Green Lanterns with a #2 pencil.

SDMB loves being a shrill aspie hugbox that finds any and every way to establish status. Join date is one of them.

-If a new member posts a dumb question/post in June, there will be a heap of people who post stuff like “Whelp, looks like school’s out” :rolleyes:

-If a new member asks a weirdly specific question in September those same people will say, “Do your own homework, Plebe” :rolleyes:

-People love being the first in a circlejerk over whether a new poster is a sock/troll/spammer.

Well, we do actually get a lot of students wanting us to do their homework for them.