A presidential Candidate So Tone-Deaf That He Leases A Ranch Called Niggerhead?

No, butI did find Cracker Island - it’s in Nova Scotia.

Since I’m apparently going to hell anyway, I’ll just mention that he could substitute Redneck Avenue NJ, Kraut Rd, WI, **Honkey Hollow **NC or Whitey Lane KY and not have to leave the US.

Well I know where I’m taking my next vacation.

We could have a dopefest on Cracker Island!

No worries. I was voicing agreement with the “Southern stereotype” portion, not the “fuck off” portion.

Here in Texas, it’s hardly front-page news that Rick Perry is tone-deaf. A Texas Observer writer leads in to something more important.

(N_head is a name for a variety of black-eyed susan with a very large black center thingie (botany is not my strong point.) One of my elementary teachers chastised a classmate for using the word; she pointed out that a black lady working in the school looked hurt after he said it. I’d already learned not to say N_ because my grandma threatened to wash my mouth out with soap if I repeated it again. Still won’t type it, either.

Perry was obviously not raised right. Then he want to A&M.)

I’m still not entirely sure why it’s Perry’s fault that a ranch he didn’t own used to be called “Niggerhead”

However, I am outraged at Bridget Burke’s casual use of an offensive phrase like “black-eyed susan”. :wink:

Or maybe a Cracker-Fest on Dope Island.

(I will bring the cheese spread)

I love the droll irony of this statement.

I have always wondered how many places with Indian names actually mean “Fuck off and die Whitey creek” rather than Big silver water or whatever people think it does. I know if someone who asked me my name for the river he just stole from me was, I would

No my point is that Japan wasn’t exactly innocent and unconditional surrender was necessary in the war.

I apologize for that but some board members here and other liberals were gleefully using this to get a cheap shot at Perry.

No see above.

The question asked is what does it show of President Obama’s judgement for him to worship in such a church for decades?

That was the question asked three years ago, and after some hemming and hawing it turned out most of the voting public decided it didn’t say anything important about him. I say it indicates Obama believes in God, but I’m not holding that against him, and I don’t care about the rest. But by now it sounds like you do think it’s valid to bring up Obama’s church attendance - so why is it “desperate” and :rolleyes:-worthy to note that Rick Perry took people hunting at a place called Niggerhead?

Would you feel a wee bit uncomfortable renting out a ranch which had a 5 foot x 3 foot rock with word “Fuckhead” on it? Would you entertain friends and business associates there? I use that word, only because I find it less offensive. Perry didn’t share my distaste: he rented the place out dozens of times. Now if he had truly had a word with the owner and fixed the problem back in 1983 (as he claimed and others have challenged), it would be a different matter.

Now frankly this alone wouldn’t be a deal killer to me. It is however a WTF moment, one of many for Perry. The story is bad news for the Dems though: Perry is peaking too early and methinks Romney is the more electable candidate. I guess I’ll have to root for Newt and Callista.

I, like most people, will often use the convenient shorthand of simply using the country name when what I really mean is a subset of the population. So, for example, I might say that America prefers looser gun laws than we do in the UK; it would be more correct to say that a majority of people in America do vs. a majority in the UK, but it’s an acceptable way of making sure your posts aren’t too long and difficult to read.

However. To say that “Japan wasn’t entirely innocent” does not work on the same level. Because the atrocities i’m assuming you’re referring to were comitted on the whole by the armed forces, whereas the primary victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were civilians. To say that those bombings are justified, because a different group of people (who fall under the same overall group) committed atrocities, is pretty nasty. It’s like saying, “That man is a murderer - so i’m going to kill his family.” Not to mention a slippery slope; i’m pretty sure every country has, in it’s history, some atrocities comitted by some of its citizens or government, which leaves us all liable to justified attack, per this view. Unless your claim is that the targets of the bombings were also the comitters of crimes, then your justification doesn’t work, and what’s more, is the sort of thing that can subtly lead to prejudice.

As an aside - why was unconditional surrender necessary? A conditional surrender was problematic?

I can understand that, but that’s not a reason to not equally condemn. Like they say, you can only deal with your own bias.

It’s not available on the web, but a cartoon by The Great Don Martin depicted a retired Lone Ranger (mask on the hat rack), reading an Apache dictionary. And looking rather surprised when he read:

I think it was Gary Larson (“The Far Side”), not Don Martin.

I was playing with my Red Ryder BB gun when first I heard that joke. It was brand new.

The old ones are the best. Like “What do you mean we, Paleface?”

Yep. Far Side. Here it is.