[QUOTE=Caricci]
By “certain religious converts” I guess I mean the kind that converted for someone else, in particular, those who converted at marriage.
My question is, since your conversion, do you honestly believe in the doctrines of your new faith or do you go through the motions for the sake of family? What made me think of this is reading a story about the president of our local synagogue. She is a woman who was raised Catholic, but converted to Judaism when she married a Jewish man. Obviously, she takes her conversion seriously - she is, after all, the president of the synagogue. But I wonder how easy it was for her to stop thinking as a Christian - I don’t mean a values thing, but just in the way she considers Jesus and symbols and whatnot.
[/QUOTE]
OK, I can answer this one. I converted to Judaism shortly before I married Mr. Neville.
I was raised Methodist, though I actually gave up believing in Christianity as a teenager. I went through the motions of Christianity (including going to church every week) while I lived at home, though, to keep the peace between me and my mother. After I moved out to go to college, I never went to church again, except for someone else’s wedding or something like that. I was planning this from before I moved out, too.
I pretty much didn’t do anything religious while I was in college, though I did still believe in God. I also didn’t say anything to my family about not being a Christian any more- we, as a family, prefer to ignore stuff like that rather than talk about it.
At one point when I was in college, I met up with a guy I had known from church as a kid (and had a bit of a crush on then). I actually decided not to go out with him, because he was Christian and I wasn’t- I decided I wouldn’t have felt comfortable in a relationship with anyone who was actually (as opposed to nominally) Christian. Bear in mind that I hate dating (with the fire of 10[sup]11[/sup] suns) but like being in a long-term relationship, so I wouldn’t go out with anyone if I wasn’t looking for a long-term relationship with them.
I started learning about Judaism when I met Mr. Neville. But I wasn’t willing to convert and practice a religion for the sake of him or his family- before I decided I wanted to marry him, I had to convince myself that I would still want to be Jewish even if my relationship with him ended. Once I felt sure about that, I was willing to formally convert.
If (God forbid) anything were to happen to Mr. Neville and I found myself single again, I would still believe in and practice Judaism. If I had kids with someone else, I’m pretty sure I’d want to raise them Jewish.
I doubt I’ll ever be president of a synagogue, though, because I’m just not the type who seeks out leadership positions in organizations (unless I’m getting paid to do it).
If you’d known me when I was younger, unless you knew me very well, you might have thought I was a by-the-book Protestant Christian. I didn’t go around talking about how I didn’t believe in Christianity (mostly so it wouldn’t get back to my mother and start a huge fight). I mostly only talked to other Jewish people about what I was learning about Judaism, too. My point is, you don’t always know what’s going on in someone else’s mind or soul.