A Rabbit Races a Deer....

This was just too perfect for words…

Let me set the scene, about 5 minutes ago, on a two lane back road heading towards home.

Car; 2007 VW Rabbit (2.5L five cylinder , 150 HP, 175 TQ) 2 door manual.
Tunes; the theme to “Airwolf”.

I was heading home, with the theme to Airwolf cranking on the stereo, enjoying the curvy road, sheer driving pleasure, I’m in the zone…

…a doe crosses the road a good distance ahead of me, and stands dead center in my lane, staring dumbly into my headlights, but giving me plenty of time to drop to 25 MPH, and move to the opposite lane, as I approach nearly parallel, the deer moves to walk leisurely into the woods, too slow, doe, too slow…

I push the clutch pedal in, and give the engine a quick double rev, the Rumbly 2.5 emits a pleasingly throaty rumbling roar.

…and the deer suddenly changes direction, running parallel to the road, in the same direction as me, just barely past my passenger rear view mirror, if there was a passenger in the seat, they could have touched the deer, it was that close!

we actually have time to glance at each other, wondering who’s going to back down first, both hurtling forward at about 25 MPH, to the tunes of '80s cheese, we stayed parallel for at least five seconds before the doe broke formation and entered the woods.

Y’know, I could have sworn the deer actually enjoyed our little competition…

Try racing a tortoise now and see what happens.:slight_smile:

Good story. Close encounters with wild critters are pretty cool. It reminds of the first deer I saw in the wild, running along with a train I was on, maybe fifteen yards away. It couldn’t quite keep up and gradually fell back before finally giving up (the train must have been going slower than usual because I’m sure a deer couldn’t come close to matching it for speed). I wondered at the time if it was deliberately racing the train for fun or acting on some quirky instinct.

I had one of those once. Two lane curvy road, guardrail on the right & all of a sudden I’m drag racing a deer. I decide to hit the brakes, which was a good idea as she took that moment to decide to make a 90° turn to her left - over the guardrail & into the corner of my car. Cracked (but didn’t break) the headlight/corner light assembly. Glad I did break as that was a lot easier & cheaper to fix than a window/door.
Consider yourself lucky.

I thought you were going to race a tractor.