A request to consider a small format tweak for all pages.

When one scrolls down to the bottom of a page, on the right side is the area marked " Forum Jump".

It is on line with the left-hand area that reads, " HTML Code is OFF ".

Any way to move it up so it is on line with the area that reads, " Posting Rules " ?

I know this is a teeny tiny thing, but when looking to forum jump around on a smartphone or even tablet, it sure would be lovely to not scroll all the way down to the bottom to find the Jump tabs.

Any compelling reason why we couldn’t adjust it up a few lines?

Thanks ! :smiley:

Yeah, there’s a compelling reason.

Care to fight some ignorance and elucidate ?

It requires fundamental changes to the vBulletin application. SDMB has a license to use the software, but probably does not have the license authority nor technical expertise to modify the source code.

I have no inside knowledge, but do you need a special license to change vBulletin?

I’m pretty sure we’ve modified some of the standard vBulletin. Not much, but definintely some. So, the technical side can do it.

I’m not in the know, so can’t answer the OP’s question.

I’m not sure a single word of this post is correct. It’s kind of impressive, actually.

Changing the appearance / layout of forum pages has nothing to do with the underlying vBulletin software. It merely requires editing the template using the tools provided within the Admin Control Panel, something which nearly all vBulletin users do out of the box so that their forum doesn’t look terrible.

The change requested by the OP is pretty trivial. Should the powers that be decide to do it, here’s how:

1. In AdminCP / Search in Templates, type “forumjump” in the search box and hit search.
  2. A bunch of templates will come up. Double click on FORUMDISPLAY and find the following section (near the bottom):

<!-- forum rules & forum jump -->
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%" align="center">
<tr valign="bottom">

1. Change the valign argument from “bottom” to “top”.
  2. Click save. (Check the “save in template history” box so you can roll back if necessary.)
  3. Do the same thing for the SHOWTHREAD template.

The whole thing should take about two minutes.

Thank you very much, Giraffe. Let’s see what happens !

You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.

Oh, hell. I was thinking of something else and not merely a formatting/presentation change.

Thanks for tongue-lashing, Giraffe.

:smiley:

He does have a way with his tongue, doesn’t he?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, he has the problem licked. And he can clean his eyebrows at the same time.
:smiley:

Maybe a little. But my tongue gave the tranship its groove, and keeps Cynthia enthralled to this day. :smiley:

Just wanted to note the “Posting Rules” box can be collapsed to a single line so that the “Forum Jump” drop-down is on the same line; all you need to do is click the little double-arrow in the upper right of that box. Seems to be cookie-dependent; it will remain collapsed from thread to thread until and unless you clear cookies for the site.

Just Ed, you are correct.

Wouldn’t that be easier for everyone? And you have choice … though nothing has changed in our posting rules in, well, practically forever.

Oooh, JustEd, thank you. Will do just this.

Request withdrawn.

And it appears to be done. Who said that the Powers that Be around here are afraid of change?

Can’t take credit – it was an option always there but apparently unknown.