a song that sums up your life

“Torn” Natalie Imbruglia

Chorus
"I’m all out of faith,this is how I feel.

I am cold and I am shamed, lying naked in the floor.

Illusion never changed, into something real.

I’m wide awake and I can see, the perfect sky is torn.

You’re a little late, I’m already torn."

“Those Were The Days My Friend” Can’t say I ever liked Glen Campbell that much but the song kind of sad and fits some feelings I have from time to time.

Reality used to be a friend of mine - PM Dawn

I’ve a huge Van Morrison fan, and there’s one verse of Brand New Day that has always seemed to sum up how I was feeling prior to meeting my current SO:

I was lost and double crossed
With my hands behind my back
I was longtime hurt and thrown in the dirt
Shoved out on the railroad track
I’ve been used, abused and so confused
And I had nowhere to run
But I stood and looked
And my eyes got hooked
On that beautiful morning sun

Since we’ve been having problems (too complicated to go into, we’re working on it), I heard Fortress Around Your Heart by Sting, and I was surprised at how well they summed up what my SO and I are going through:

Then I went off to fight some battle
That I’d invented inside my head
Away so long for years and years
You probably thought, or even wished that I was dead
While the armies all are sleeping
Beneath the tattered flag we’d made
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I’d laid

Seems sort of melodramatic and goofy when it’s laid out like that, but hey…I’m an emotional sort of gal. :slight_smile:

Mine are “Loser” by Beck, and “A house is Not a Home” by Luther Vandross.

If we are picking one: Bitch by Meredith Brooks. (bite me, okay? Its one of the better explinations I have for why I am the way I am.)

If we can add minors: I Dreamed a Dream from Les Mis. Green Day’s Minority. Angel of the Morning by the artist of your choice. (I usually just sing it myself, I learned it off a player piano when I was 13.)

[sub]Thank goodness for Preview. While I’m sure Angle of the Morning is a fine song, and may indeed reflect some part of my life, it was not my intent.[/sub]

Summer, Highland Falls by Billy Joel

One Step Up by Bruce Springsteen

You’re My Home by Billy Joel (not so much as the love song part but more the “wandering guy” thing. My current apartment that I’ve lived in for a year and a half is the current record holder for longevity since I first went to college 15 years ago.)

And there’s a song from the movie Major League that contains these lyrics (Finally found a link to it, it’s called Most of All You) –

Joyful Girl, by Ani DiFranco. Definitely. It’s just gentle and a bit painful but sweet and affirming, somehow. I love it. Everytime i listen to it her voice gets sweeter, and if the words sound truer than ever then i know that i’m doing something right. ::bows head and smiles:: music good.

I do it for the joy it brings,
because i am a joyful girl.
I do it because i learned it from you
i do it just because i want to, because i want to.

The bathroom mirror has not budged, and the woman who lives
there, can tell
the truth from the stuff that they say
she looks me in the eye and says
would you prefer the easy way?
no, well okay then
don’t cry.

I’ve always related best to Eleanor Rigby.

Right now it’s Radiohead’s Exit Music (for a film) but at any one point it will change into another Radiohead song. Their music just puts me at ease and I can drift into this blissful feeling listening to them.

When I was younger it was “The Unforgiven” by Metallica. Now it’s “Limelight” by Rush.

“All the world’s indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers. Each another’s audience inside the gilded cage…”

Warm Beer, Cold Women - Tom Waits

Outside the gilded cage, heretic. :wink:

[sub]Great song, by the way![/sub]

Some Weird Sin- by Iggy Pop

I mean it used to be. Not any more of course :slight_smile:
:rolleyes:.

Most of the time, “Ironic”, by Alanis Morrisette

I remember when I broke up with my exboyfriend, the song playing on the radio was “Don’t Speak”, by No Doubt. It was almost creepy how close to home it hit.

‘Southern Cross’, by Crosby, Stills and Nash:

“So I’m sailing for tomorrow, my dreams are a-dyin
And my love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain
I have my ship, and all her flags are a-flyin
She is all that I have left, and music is her name”

The “you” in question being a subject for tomorrows post, of course :slight_smile:

Not Andrew Lloyd Webber, but “Carry On” by Styx. I was very glad when Dennis DeYoung played Pilate in the touring show of Jesus Christ Superstar and released his “10 on Broadway” CD, thus establishing an ALW/Styx connection.

Of course, there’s always the Jim Steinman/ALW song “Annie Christmas,” giving me my user name. I love Steinman’s work, am obsessed with ALW, my last name is Anne and I was born on December 25th. Bull’s Eye!

My own girlfriend sums me up with Tom Petty’s “Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes”. Bitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sans the fame and fortune, I’d have to say Life’s Been Good by Joe Walsh.