A strange bodily symptom

My WAG would be muscle spasms. I’ve had some in that area that were so painful I was dragged off to hospital for injected muscle relaxants.

To those that experience this sensation, can you please clarify for me: is the vibrating sensation similar to what one experiences when the eyelid starts twitching, but a on a much larger scale (I recognize that not everyone will have had eyelid twitches, so my question is directed only at those of you who have).

What I am getting at is the possibility, as stated earlier, that what you are feeling is actually a muscle fasciculation (or more accurately myokymia) occurring in a large, deep muscle (so you can only feel it but not see it twitching or even place your hand/fingers directly over it). It seems to me that this would cause the type of vibrating sensation you describe and could also account for the positional and movement associated features that were described in the OP.

Here are the Wiki links for fasiciculation and myokymia (with the latter usually being the more appropriate term).

Take your hand and do the parkinsons shake. Feel how you can feel when your hand gets to either extreme of position in turn, the sort of vibratory feeling? Now imagine if you were having the whole body tremors. That is the sensation I get, as if I was having the whole body tremors, just not visible on the outside. I feel it in my hands, my arms, my legs, my torso … just nothing is seen or felt by anybody other than me. Well I dont see anything, I just have the sensation of vibration. I can ignore it when it happens during the day but it disrupts attempts to sleep. Getting up and moving or changing position does nothing but 300 mg neurotin seems to stop the sensations.

Also it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with coffee/tea/caffeine. I am effectively decaffinated now, I drink green or white tea now.

No, it’s not like eyelid twitching; it’s much faster, like a vibrating or buzzing. And it’s also more intense than twitching. It’s very similar to the way my Gillette Fusion razor vibrates when turned on.

The phantom phone vibration is just your mind playing tricks on you. There was an article about it on cnn.com a couple of years ago. It’s caused by the stress of living in a society where we’re compelled to constantly monitor our environment to see if somebody wants or requires our attention.

I see - thanks for clarifying (aruvqan and panache45).

Do you use any benzodiazepines (xanax, ativan, klonopin, etc.)? Whenever the blood level of these drugs drop, parasthesias like this are common.

Nope. I do have on the order of 20 odd midrin left but I haven’t had a stress migraine in over a year so I am using frova sporadically. I have other pain meds for the physical issues.

Oddly enough, yesterday I started experiencing a symptom with some similarities to what panache45 describes in the OP. It’s a tingling that feels very similar to an electrical shock, localized in my hands, and in the area around my lower jaw. It lasts different amounts of time and so far (today is only the second day) only happens when I stand up.

I attribute almost any symptom that crops up to stress (of which I seem to have more than my fair share right now), or lack of good sleep. I did call for an appointment, but didn’t feel like I neded to be squeezed in to the schedule right away, so it’s not for a few weeks.

When I saw your post I remembered that I had missed a dose (35.5 mg/day) of Effexor the same day this started. Even though I don’t believe it to be the same class of drug, I’m wondering if that’s the cause and if such a symptom would show up that quickly.

Stupidly, I forgot to take it again today. None of the lower jaw “spells” today, but the hands, plenty and just now one foot while I was seated.

Since the OP is seeking medical advice, this is best suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

HI Panache 45,
I accidently found you post regrading some strange buzzing electrical feeling on the right side of your body - I think you posted it a couple of years ago. Anyways I am having EXECTLY the same symptoms as you did.
I am just wondering if your symptoms ever gone away or what was it related to to begin with?
Thanks
Oleg11