A totally freaky test

Yeh, it worked for me. But I wasn’t that surprised:

The math is designed to always give you the number 4. From there, I’m guessing the most popular answer for a country that starts with D is Denmark. And of course, there aren’t many animals that start with K, or fruits that start with O.

but that’s just ‘watermelon’ in Mandarin!
an ass in Dominica munching on a strawberry

x = first digit, y = second; the number is 10x + y, the digits added together are x + y, so what you calculate is 10x + y - (x + y) = 9x, and if you look closely, you’ll notice that there’s always the same symbol next to any number that’s a multiple of 9.

I thought you only subtracted five if you had added the digits together, so I was still at 9. :smack:

Yes. I saw this little trick on a magic television show when I was a child and figured out what they were doing. I think the only difference was they wanted me to think of an animal whose name begins with the letter ‘e.’ The “magician” then informed me that there were no elephants in Denmark. Even if I weren’t onto him, I didn’t say elephant. So there, stupid TV magician guy!

A similar trick works for surreptitiously figuring out how many people your (non-slutty) friends have slept with.

same. Accept Djibouti.

Not that I want to make you feel stupid, but…
It’s actually even simpler. You’ll always end up with a multiple of nine for your answer; the website mixes up signs for different numbers, but if you look, all multiples of nine have the same sign. All the site has to do is show the sign for nine (and its multiples) that in the magic ball.

Math explanation:
If your tens digit is x and your ones digit is y, then your two digit number is 10x + y, right? Add x and y together and you get x+y. Subtract the total of the digits from your original number and you get
x+y -(x+y) = 10x + y -x -y = 9x
So the answer is always nine times something.

:smack: I didn’t notice that the symbols changed each time I clicked Try Again. Once I tried it without refreshing the board, the trick was obvious.

Oh, I thought it was a type of watermelon. I’ve seen them here in Chinatown and they look rounder and darker.

There are no countries that start with W, as far as I can tell.

If the thing wants you to think of an integer between 1 and 10, it should say so. Anytime I’m told to think of a number between 1 and 10, I think of pi. The rest of the thing sort of fell apart for me.

There’s always gotta be a wise ass.

don’t know, maybe a different type of watermelon?
an iguana in dubai staring at an avocado

I had Denmark, but a Killer Whale - then because I couldn’t think of an “E” fruit I cheated and used Elderberry.

Heh, I had a an ignauna in Djibouti eating an apple…

I sort of figured it out before the end, I knew about the trick making the number 4 every time (I’ve seen the same trick before) and I figured there are not really very many countries starting with D… and most of them your average american (or probably person from any western country) would not have heard of.

Once you do it twice it becomes obvious. No matter what number you think of it has the same symbol.

Komodo Dragon in Denmark eating a Naranjilla.

Same.

It’s like the test takes for granted that there’s no country besides Denmark that starts with a D. (And that no animal besides the Kangaroo starts with a K, but that’s secondary; it goes out the window if you pick a different country.)

Me too. Everyone knows there aren’t any kangaroos or oranges in Denmark.

And that koala is going to die anyway because they only eat eucalyptus leaves.

That will leave something rotten in Denmark.

Dingo in Deutschland eating an orange.

I also came up with Djibouti, but I chose Ichthyosaur for the animal. I couldn’t quite think of a fruit that started with R, so I just chose radish.