A very l-o-n-g and angry yet embarrassing tale of a bicycle tire which you may find amusing at my expense

I got a flat on my bike just a few minutes into my ride. I ride about 40-45 miles a week. I’m not a competitive rider, but I prefer riding a bike outdoors to any other form of cardio exercise. I average 15 MPH, so not blinding fast but not dogging it either–need to keep that heart rate up.

I don’t carry a spare tube or pump, so I turned around and walked back home in 15 minutes. This was only the third flat I’ve had on the road in many years. I had spare tubes at home, and started changing the tire. The tire had been flattened out by using it on a trainer over the winter, and had some dings it in, so I decided to take the opportunity to swap in a new tire. I drove over to a local bike shop, checked out what they had, and the tech there recommended a Continental Grand Prix 5000, which they sell for $80. I had expected to pay about half of that. You can buy some car tires for not much more than that. I thought that was pretty pricey but in the heat of the moment I just wanted to get a tire and get back on the road, so I put down my plastic and headed out.

I got home, and took the tire out of the box. It was bound with a zip tie, and bundled with an instruction sheet in four or five languages. After I took the old tire and tube off, I noticed that the factory rim tape left a few spoke holes partly uncovered. That seemed odd, but I thought that might be a contributing factor to the flat. I ran to REI and bought some rim tape off the rack. I removed the old one, which turned out to not be tape at all but molded plastic. The new tape was too wide. So I went back to REI with the wheel. They checked out the wheel and said they don’t stock tape in that width as a retail item but they sold me a roll out of the shop. Props to REI for their level of customer service. In the meantime I noticed that their price on the Continental Grand Prix 5000 was only $64, although they didn’t have my size in stock. At this point I was feeling dubious about the first shop. It’s a regional chain with about six stores, not a mom & pop corner shop.

I got home and retaped the wheel, mounted the tire and tube, and pumped it up. I rolled out and into the street, reached my turnaround point at about 6 miles, and headed back home. Another mile or two later, the tire blew rather impressively with a sharp “pop.” Not only did the tube blow, the tire had a big gash in it right in the center of the contact area where the tube had blown. It looks like it had actually worn through to the cords. In 7 miles. I am guessing the wear gave the tube a place to pop through.

My wife picked me up and I went back to the shop with the wheel in one hand and the tire box in the other. I told them this was a brand new tire, which was supposed to be puncture-resistant, and lasted only about 7 miles. The tech looked at the tire and said, “This isn’t a new tire.” I said sure it is, I just bought it from you four hours ago. He asked me who sold it to me, and when I pointed him out he said, “Hey, did you sell this guy a tire?” “Yeah.” Then he asked me if I had a receipt. “You didn’t give me one. You emailed it to me.” They verified I had indeed bought a tire there, but he insisted, “That tire is not from this package. This is an old tire. You didn’t buy this tire here. It’s got at least 100 miles on it. This is an unbranded tire.” I looked at it, and it was true that it didn’t have branding on it, and there was extensive wear all over the circumference, not just the blown spot. I said, “Look, I see what you’re saying but I’m not lying to you. I’m telling you I bought this tire here, and it came out of this box.” He offered to let me talk to his manager. The conversation went down a similar path. He said I must have mixed it up with another tire. I said I had exactly one tire, and that’s the one I put on. They were not budging.

As I was driving home with my ratty tire, I started to question my own sanity. I went back in mind and retraced all my steps to figure out how the wrong tire could have gotten on the wheel. Someone else packed an old tire in the box and did a return? No, I remembered opening a brand new tire with original packaging around it. Got my wheel mixed up with someone else’s at REI? No, the wheel was factory stock on the bike and has the same markings as the front wheel. And I didn’t take the tire in anyway. I was wracking my brain, wondering how Hercule Poirot would solve this.

So I removed the tire, and saw the inside of the tire colorfully marked as Continental Grand Prix 5000. Except it was actually the outside of the tire. I had mounted the tire inside out. Pro tip: The inside side of the tire does not wear well.

I went back to the store again to show the manager what had happened. I didn’t expect them to give me a new tire–after all, it was my own fault–but they did not offer any kind of goodwill gesture. I figured they could at least knock ten bucks off another tire to keep me as a customer (I’ve spent hundreds of dollars there just in the past two years on service and gear). I also said I took umbrage at being called a liar. The manager did say he would speak to someone about that but there was no statement that came close to being an apology. So I left that store for the last time, with my blown tire in hand. Two days later, Amazon delivered two of the same tires for $100, free shipping. Within a half hour of the package landing on my front porch I was back on the road. I now have 12 trouble-free miles on my new tire.

I hadn’t used my bike in a while, but it was a nice day and I decided to ride to work. I pumped up the tires to 100 psi and set off. I got about half-a-mile and BOOM, one of the tires blew. Well, I hadn’t gone very far, so I walked the bike home, left it in the downstairs hall, and went up to my apartment. Figured I’d get cleaned up, change clothes, and just drive to work as usual. About ten minutes later, BOOM. I go downstairs and the other tire has blown. That’s when I remembered that my pump was German. I pumped the tires to ‘10’ thinking that was 100 psi; it was actually 10 bar, about 140 psi.

When I got to this point, I said “Stop right there. I know where this is going”. Contis can be a real bitch to mount on certain rims, so I figured this post would be a fine rant about that. I was wrong.

But how in the hell did you manage to get a tire known to be a pain in the ass to mount on inside out? I mean, I get how a folding bead tire could be get in that configuration, but I am impressed that you got the beads to hook on the rim. Probably would have discovered your mistake earlier if you inflated it to 140 psi like some people do.

It’s been a while since I bought a road tire, but my LBS usually had wire bead tires for about $30. For 50 miles of riding a week, that’s what you should be looking for. Hard to turn those inside out.

Ha, me too.

First time I bought a Conti and I no trouble mounting it, either the wrong way or subsequently the right way. I blew it up to 110 as recommended on the box. I have never inflated any tire past 120 and cannot imagine 140.

BTW I have a 1999 Specialized Allez with the original stock wheels, 700 x 23c.

Similar story from a month ago:

My daily driver is a BMW Z4. The brake pad wear indicator light came on.

I purchased front brake pads and a couple wear sensors. I have probably done at least 50 brake jobs in my lifetime, and this was no different. Pads and sensors went on easily.

I took it for a test drive after installing the pads. Everything worked fine, but I did notice a slight grinding noise. I figured it was just the pads settling in.

Drove it the next day. Grinding noise still there.

Drove it the rest of the week. Grinding noise seemed to be getting louder.

So after getting home from work one evening I took a flashlight and looked at the brakes through each wheel. The passenger’s side looked O.K. But the rotor on the driver’s side had deep grooves! :flushed:

I removed the wheel and caliper and found the problem: I had installed the outer brake pad backwards. :tired_face: The metal backing plate was making contact with the rotor.

I replaced the rotor and installed new pads. All is fine now.

I still can’t believe I installed the brake pad backwards.

I used to bike to work regularly when I was at my previous job, which was only about four miles away. One evening I went out to the bike after work to discover one of my bike’s tires was flat. Maybe I ran over something on the way in.

But no problem, I do carry a spare tube, pump, and tire levers. So I replaced the tube, started pumping it up… and I broke the valve stem.

I carried a patch kit, too, so I tried to patch the old tube. I started pumping up that one, now starting to get frustrated… and broke that valve stem, too.

Went back into the office to see if any coworkers were still there. Maybe one of them can give me a ride home, and I’ll just drive in and pick up the bike tomorrow. They had all gone home.

But wait, there’s a bike shop a block away from the office. I can walk over there and buy a new tube. Except they were already closed.

At that point I just proceeded to walk the four miles home. It took about an hour, not including the stop I made at a restaurant for dinner. In hindsight I guess I could have gotten an Uber, but I wasn’t really an Uber user back then, and I don’t know if an Uber driver would let me carry my bike with me, although I guess I could have taken it back to the office bike rack.

Isn’t that pretty expensive?

Yikes. I didn’t even know you could break a stem. I’ve never done that. Presta valves?

All these tales of flats…

I’ve had really good luck with Schwalbe Marathon tires. I’ve got them on my folding bike. I replaced the worn out tires earlier this year with the Schwalbes, and I’ve been commuting to work most days, over NYC streets, and I haven’t had a flat yet.

That’s not exactly scientific proof, I know, but I’ve never got this long without a flat.

Yes, Presta valves. I guess technically I didn’t actually break the valve stem, but rather put too much sideways force on it and tore it out of the tube. I’ve got a nice floor pump at home, but the one I carry with me for emergency repairs is just a dinky hand pump, with which you can put too much force on the stem if you’re not careful. As I learned that day.

Nah, $49. And that was one of the more expensive ones. Many sell for $25 or less.

1 pair carbon ceramic brake rotors for BMW M-series: $8740.

Not quoting whole post because, indeed, it’s a long post.

Maybe I’m missing something here. It reads to me that you bought a tire from the shop, put it on wrong, didn’t realize what had happened, so went back to the store and accused them of selling you an old tire packaged and priced as a new one. [ETA: maybe not an old tire, but a defective one.] They denied it. You then realized that they were correct, they’d sold you a new one [ETA: a non-defective one]; so you went back to the store again, not to apologize for having falsely accused them of cheating you, but in the hope that they’d apologize to you for having correctly denied having done so? And you thought they should give you a discount because you’d falsely accused them of cheating you?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Well, that was a nightmare! :flushed:

The OP didn’t accuse them of selling an old tire, he brought back what he thought was a defective tire. When he took the new tire to the tire shop, they claimed it was NOT a new tire, not the tire they sold him, that he didn’t buy the tire there, etc. They basically called him a liar.

StG

Yes, I realized that when re-reading immediately after posting, and went back and edited the post to say that he said they sold him a defective tire, not an old one. They said it wasn’t the tire he sold them because it was inside out and, being in that position, didn’t show its brand marks; and, because it had been used inside out, it showed signs of severe wear. As the OP didn’t realize at that time that it was inside out, they weren’t able to counter that except by insisting that they’d bought the tire there: which was correct, but which does not appear to have been at all obvious. And it wasn’t obvious due to the OP’s actions.

I’ll grant that they were wrong about the tire having been just bought there, but it still reads to me that the error was the OP’s, and that the OP was falsely accusing them of cheating. The OP didn’t know the accusation was false when first made, they made it in good faith at the time; but did know it when returning to the shop to explain what happened. I still don’t see why the shop should apologize, let alone give discounts, for having been falsely accused.

I’d hope a bicycle shop professional would recognize an inside-out tire. Or at least look closely enough to see the tread on the inside of the tire.

Mostly the point is, this small business lost a customer who was supporting them because of their attitude. The customer isn’t always right, but he’s always the customer and should be treated with courtesy and respect.

StG

I was driving my Jeep to work one morning and had a sudden brake failure. Scared the crap outa me. I kept driving, downshifting to slow down, until I reached an auto repair place.

He lifts my Jeep and started right off making fun of me. “Boy, why’d you attempt to replace your own brakes if you have no clue what you’re doing?” I thought about it and went through my credit card statements on my phone. I had my brakes replaced by a local guy a few months prior. The local guy passed away about a month after doing my brakes.

Yeah I had this happen once a long time ago and learned not to put any force on the stem while you are pumping with a hand-pump. I simply grip the pump and let the whole wheel just rest on the pump while I hold it all up in the air (stem pointed down with the pump valve clipped onto it) - that way there is little chance of exerting sideways force on the stem.