A victory at too great a cost is called?

The word escapes me. It’s called " ______ victory"

I think it’s commonly used when referring to war. It basically means that even tho’ you won; it’s hard to celebrate because of the tremendous loss you suffered.

Anybody know what I’m talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Phyrric.

Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic is the word you’re looking for.

Actually, the correct answer is Pyrrhic victory

(d’oh, beaten by seconds!)

Pyrrhic
remember the rule:
H after yrr, except when you’re spelling something different.

I think the word is Pyrrhic.

It’s Rio, by Duran Duran…

As long as you can spell “myrrh” correctly you can also use this mnemonic sentence: “Convincing the infant Jesus that myrrh was a kingly gift was a Pyrrhic victory of sorts for the Third Wise Man: he managed to re-gift something on an unprecedented scale, but went down for all time as giving That Thing That Nobody Knows What It Is And Would Regift At The Earliest Opportunity”.

And there’s the worse Cadmean victory.

Wow! thanks guys. That’s gotta be some sort of record or something! :smiley:

No, it’s Pyrrhio, by , :stuck_out_tongue:

I take it you haven’t seen that thread about the scalar weapons from the early 20th century then…

TTTNKWIIAWRATEO ! It’s for the kids!

“Another victory like this and I shall be ruined!”

“If this is victory, our hands are too small to hold it”

-JRRT

Divorced guy, huh?

This is from the Appendices to Lord of the Rings, for those who aren’t me, QtC, What Exit?, Elendil’s Heir, well, he’s back, or Malacandra; it is uttered by one of the Dwarves after a ruinous battle with the Orcs in Moria.

ahem

Holy Zeus, but you’re high maintenance during Advent. Fine.

This is from the Appendices to Lord of the Rings, for those who aren’t me, jayjay, QtC, What Exit?, Elendil’s Heir, well, he’s back, or Malacandra; it is uttered by one of the Dwarves after a ruinous battle with the Orcs in Moria.