A Will Shortz puzzler.

OK –

My wife heard this on the radio (the NPR show that Will Shortz calls into), then passed it on to me, and now I’m passing it on to you.

So, bearing in mind that there might be some “whisper down the lane” effect. . .

You need a 3-letter male nickname, and a 4-letter male nickname. The two names, when put together, will – phonetically – form a word that means “good looking”.

That’s how I heard it.

Any guesses?

(I’m not responsible for possibly passing on the statement of the problem incorrectly)

No idea what the answer is, but I heard the announcement of the puzzler, and the only piece I think you have mis-stated is the “form a word” I think it forms a two word phrase which means good-looking.

I seldom spend much time pondering that part of the Puzzler, especially when I expect to not hear it on the next Sunday, which is true this week.

To clarify (from Shortz’s page on NPR’s website):

The Doctor

Sam
Bud
Art
Ben
Jim
Ken
Sid
Rob
Bob
Lou
Jay
Les
Kev
Wes
Dan
Joe

Why can’t I figure it out?!

You forgot Johhny Cash’s ‘A boy named Sue’!

I got it.

Ike Andy

Thanks, doctor, for clarifying.

I’ll remember to check the website next time. My wife will be glad she drove me crazy all day for misstating the problem.

Nice!

I’d been working with

andy

because it kind of had an adjective sounding ending. It was just luck that it played into the phrase.

I was also working with “bill” when I thought it was one-word since a word like “mobile” is an adjective.

You should come to Gettysdope (July 15th) so we can talk puzzles and moves. (Saw “The Notorious Bettie Page” yesterday – v. good.)

I’ll keep it in mind.

July is usually crazy round here because of bike racing/wife’s shows.