A word I never expected to hear on radio

I was only half listening so the details are sketchy but I was listening to the morning show on CBC radio 1 this morning they were interviewing a woman who had, within the last year, been elected to her provincial legislature. At some point she introduced a bill to make it easier to obtain a morning-after pill. Perhaps it is not surprising, but she got violent email (and maybe FB and Twitter) attacks. She got one email that said something like (I am certain of the last three words), “I am going to propose a post-partum abortion to your mother, you stupid cunt.”

When the premier of Alberta was in a public meeting, she was subjected to a barrage of calls to “Lock her up”. Thus has Trump coarsened the political discourse, even up here. But more importantly it illustrates how deep the misogyny runs and goes a long way to explaining how Hillary lost to that a-hole.

Canada in general and the CBC in particular has always been decades ahead of America in their tolerance for vernacular language. Pierre Trudeau dropped the F-bomb in the House of Commons in 1971 and two days later there was song about it on the Canadian hit parade.

If the C-word would ever hit the airwaves in North American, it would certainly be in Canada, and likely already happened in Newfoundland, where nobody would have noticed it. Newfoundland broadcasters told me they were disappointed when Newfoukndland joined Canada, and broadcasting came under Canadian regulatory commissions, and they couldn’t say fuck on the air anymore.

Didn’t Trudeau claim he had said “Fuddle duddle”? Created many many jokes. Didn’t know that about NFLD though. My 1930s version of Partridge’s etymological dictionary has an entry that says approximately the following:
ct, one of the two SE [standard English] words, along with fk, that cannot appear in print anywhere is the English speaking world.
Maybe NFLD was different.