Abducted 11-year old turns up 18 years later

Which also seems odd. Why would he bring them out? Unless he was just so sure that at this point the original abducted girl (well, woman now) was so brainwashed that he thought she wouldn’t say anything.

I guess that’s the really scary part. To think of this as becoming normal. And how sad for the kids, to think that this kind of a father and this kind of family is normal.

I’m still trying to wrap my brain around a girl that young being abducted, raped, and then bearing kids…how does she relate to them? I mean, was she expected to raise them? I mean, I assume so, but wow…

From all accounts, Elizabeth Fritzl deeply loves and cares for her children. I’d assume the same is true here.

Now they’re searching that fruitcake’s compound for bodies. It seems many prostitutes went missing in the neighborhoods of his home and workplace in the 90s.

Yup. There’s evil & mean, which is what prison is for, and then there’s stuff like this which is just so damned schizophrenic that regular punishment just isn’t appropriate.

I’m against the death penalty but for someone as broken as Ma & Pa Kettle here maybe if it were billed as euthanasia I could get behind just snuffing 'em.

There’s no way to make this a good story–the babies more than likely love the old geezer like we would our own parents. What do you do with that? “Sorry we had to kill your daddy, little girls, but he was nuckin’ futz.”

Interesting. I just can’t imagine being forced to have kids now…I can’t help thinking that if I were that age and someone had forced me into that situation, I’d just think, “Something awful that came out of me due to getting raped and now I have to take care of it?!”

On the other hand, those kids represent 50% of every person she’s had regular contact with over the last 18 years, and they happen to be the 50% that wasn’t raping her regularly. I can see that leading to some pretty strong attachments.

Guess the cops FUCKED up and didn’t search the back yard 3 YEARS AGO when they went to the house to investigate a complaint that this guy had people LIVING IN HIS BACK YARD. Didn’t even peek over the fence.

What the fuck?!?

Oh well, what’s another 3 years right? :rolleyes:

I’m not sure that blaming the cops is appropriate. They looked at what appeared to be the back yard. The extra back yard was pretty well disguised, according to reports. If you walked into it, you would automatically look over the fence to make sure that you saw neighbor’s yards? I think that is an unreasonable assumption.

Had the cop discovered it at the time, it would have been simple luck. You can’t blame the cop for not being lucky.

That’s unprofessional of them, and I presume the guys who did it feel bad about it.

I apologize in advance, but why the question mark?

'Cause it was a question? Would Cubsfan, were he a sheriff sent out on a nuisance complaint about living noises from a back yard, have poked his nose over every fence in the apparent back yard? Or would he have simply looked at the back yard?

Cops aren’t Superman; really, they aren’t.

I don’t know, was it?

I’m glad we’ve had this little chat?

Are you?
:slight_smile:

I agree, and I will have to add this:

I did take a look.

[With Google Earth and the GE ruler]

I Identified the location with the aerial images from the BBC and the local reports (They reported it was Walnut ave in Antioch)

The length of the terrain occupied by the house on the corner of the block is about 125 feet long. By contrast, the length of the terrain where the house of the perpetrator is located is about 270 feet long.

For a regular officer on the beat, I would think that all the houses on the block would look to be as long as the house in the corner of the block. And when I looked at the satellite image it is clear that at the 125 feet mark there is what it looks like a regular fence or a wall of structures that would give the impression to a cop that the other side of the “fence” was the property of the neighbor.

Very sneaky bastards, the plots in that neighborhood are not regular, it seems that very little was needed to do in this case to make the location look as if the terrain ended at the half way mark. That matches the length of the first 2 houses to the south of the house where the crime was committed.

As I understand it, the cops didn’t look in the backyard. They came to the door, talked to the guy, didn’t do a background check and took his word that there was no one there. So yeah, big screw up.

StG

Yeah. Seriously. WTF guys? What more has to happen other than to have the cops called, to a registered sex offenders house of all places, specifically about something amiss in the backyard, like someone living there or something, before the cops decide to LOOK AROUND THE BACKYARD!!! WTF??? They didn’t even go back there and THAT’S what the call was about?

I know cops aren’t supermen, but they should at least be able to follow basic job sense like “Let’s check out the backyard we were contacted about, especially since we went through all the trouble to come out here anyway”.

Come on people! Do you really expect this little out of our police force?

That’s f’d and jobs should be on the line over this huge screw-up.

I’m no fan of cops. Nevertheless, I see no reason any cop should be blamed for this. Even given your view, there was no evidence of danger.

What do you expect would have been different? “There are noises that sound like someone is living in my neighbor’s back yard.” What would you have done differently?

You’re nuts. Really, you are. Does the term “search warrant” mean anything to you? Do you believe that cops should have full authority to bull their way through, just in case?

The cops had no reason to believe anything was wrong. The reporting I’ve seen is that the cops were in the back yard. What more do you expect them to do without a warrant and without clear evidence that they need to explore more?

What I have seen is contradictory. So far it is not clear IMO what did the cops search that day, but also the reports say that the sheds were sound proofed. Even if if the cops had looked in the back yard it was unlikely that they would had seen or heard the girls. The cops needed a warrant to check inside (even that was not a sure thing if there was a “wall” of sheds covering the true length of the backyard as I think I see it on Google Earth), but I have to say that there was an irresponsible lack of communication between the police agencies.