Abducted 11-year old turns up 18 years later

From all accounts that I am hearing, she helped him abduct the girl in the first place.

The mind boggles that people like that are walking around loose in society. He should never have been released from prison on his original conviction.

I would speculate that she escaped when she realized her older daughter was the age she was when he abducted her and she didn’t want her daughter to have a similar fate. Stayner escaped when his captor abducted a younger boy because he didn’t want the child to be abused like he was.

Thee was a clip on the radio this morning of the abductor saying he “never abused” their daughters. What does he think keeping them locked up all their lives is?

Seriously! As if this thread weren’t disturbing enough.

Good idea! Still an insufficient punishment, but could be fun to watch.

It sounds like she escaped now because this is the first time she was around anyone who could help her, and she was terrorized into thinking that before now, she’d never be able to get away.

Here’s a story from the New York Times with more detail.

The whole thing was a coincidence: he would never have had to go see the parole officer if he hadn’t been stopped while giving out religious literature at UC-Berkeley.

The kidnapper is totally batshit insane and says that when the whole story of what he did gets out, it will be “heartwarming.”

Austria.

There’s been one in Britain too.

According to the article on the NYT, the guy is also a whacko who believes he can control sound and who has developed his own religious asshattery. He also stated that everyone will end up viewing this whole thing as a “heartwarming” story. Yick. Thank god for smart cops.

*And the phone calls, by members of the wider family and by the girls themselves, to the police, to social services, to Childline. But still it went on and on, unstopped from 1981 to the summer of 2008, when one of the daughters finally could take no more and told social workers all that was going on.

In 1982, the man’s cousin went to the NSPCC with fears that the girls were being beaten. The cousin’s wife rang social services several times in the following years but “I was always being put through to someone different, and it never went anywhere”.

She ran off with the baby to stay with her grandmother, who yelled at the policeman who was present when the father came to take her back: “He is the father of that baby. Do something.” The policeman warned her that slander was a criminal offence. *
Shit.

There are not enough :eek:'s in the world for this.

There is a special place in hell for a guy like that.

I wonder if Anthony Kennedy is rethinking his ruling in Kennedy v. Louisiana?

Kidnapping / abduction, brainwashing, and various crimes I don’t have names for.

This guy demonstrated a callous disrespect for Human life & dignity. If the case is thoroughly proven, and I don’t see much of a doubt at the moment, I’m for executing him.

No, it’s not appropriate. It will make sure he never, ever steals another person again.

I’m reminded of the John Fowles book the Collector where the main character thinks he’s totally sane and this is a completely reasonable thing to do.

There was a case in Pennsylvania a few years ago. I was born in McKeesport and have visited there often, so this was pretty strange to see.

Strangely, the most recently posted comments on his blog are not very complimentary.

Another famous one is the kidnapping of Collen Stan

Only goes to prove that there is someone out there for everyone…

It said he met his wife in prison. What a charming way to meet you partner, especially if you’re looking for the kind of woman who will help you kidnap small girls.

One of the best examples is the “perfect” marriage of sociopaths, Karla Holmolka and Paul Bernardo.

the scary thing is that the 2 children are 14 and 11. i’m betting things were not happiness and rainbows. the captor is quoted as saying " i slept with my daughters every night since they were born." that is rather scary.

jaycee would have been 13 or 14 when the first child was born, 17/18 for the second. from the situation and the words of the captor it would not be likely she had much control over anything.

it does seem like the captor wanted to be caught. why would he bring jaycee and the children to a parole officer. they could have been left in the “compound”, no one knew they were there. why would he bring them and think he would get away with it?

I was under the impression that he had to explain there presence since he was seen with them passing out his pamphlets at Berkley.

I would think that the official concern was why a registered sex offender was found with two children, and he brought the whole crowd in to prove that the children were his. Oops.