About These "Boutique" Distilleries That Are Springing Up

Yup. Those boys are doing it right.

I’m curious about their still setup, as they have a pot still and two eight-plate rectification columns. And an infuser (far right, stainless steel). The setup provides a decent vodka, but probably not a world-class one. They can make anything and everything else under the sun, though.

And yes, with the same ethos I wanted to bring (and that Dry Fly does, noted above). Source your grains locally, mash from scratch, and sell a great product. You’ll notice they talk about taking a very narrow cut, which I addressed above. I’m sure (and I hope) they’re repurposing the rest of the run into a mixed whiskey run.

No, it’s not automatic. But it was the least of my worries.

Distribution is its own special nightmare. I live in a three-tier state, with producers, distributors, and retailers.

I was confident for several reasons. First, we’d met with one of the state’s three distributors, and they were keenly interested. Second, we were setting up in or near a fair-sized city that is completely into organics, local production, and local business. Third, one of my best friend’s family owns a farm winery, are close to the other area vitners, and are active in state politics/legislation. And all of the vitners I’ve met are keen to produce their own port (which requires a distillery), and a personal relationship (even if once or twice removed) really helps to facilitate that. Fourth, I’m semi-active and well known in the local brewer’s guild, several members of which either own liquor stores or are their primary buyers. In short, I knew I’d have two or three of the most popular liquor stores in town pushing my product.

If you start off modestly, a potential customer base of 100,000 is more than enough to keep the business afloat. Time, rep, and sales will facilitate expansion.

So… relationships. I had (have) relationships with a distribution company, many of the local vitners, most of the local brewers, and one of the two distillers extant in the state.

Pedrantry noted, accepted, and I’m not sure. The ‘skunk’ smell is unique to brewing, but I’ve always used the term to describe a ruined bottle/cask of wine/spirit. May just be me.

A bottle of wine is ‘corked’. A bottle of beer is ‘skunked’. A bottle of spirits is…?

Mourned.

Contaminated.

Exorcised.

Thanks for the answer, azraiel. Sounds like the process for most would be about as difficult as I imagined.