Absolut Vlasic (not a thing, thank heaven). Confess your bad food/drink combos here

You don’t really need good stuff, just tolerable-enough stuff. :slight_smile: Even though I grew up Polish (my folks are both from there), I never was much of a vodka drinker. That said, I did grow up around a lot of vodka, so for cheaper stuff, see if you can find Luksusowa Polish vodka (made from potatoes), and here you can get it for like $13/fifth (750mL) or a handle for $20 (1.75L). Probably the best bang-for-buck vodka out there (I’m sure there are others, but that’s the one I’m most familiar with.) Sobieski (made from rye) is reasonable, too, at $10/fifth. And, to tell the truth, I’m fine with the ubiquitous Smirnoff (made from corn), as well. It’s just that really cheap stuff that is nasty.

Years ago when I came home on a very hot day, I couldn’t decide whether I wanted a cold beer or a bowl of ice cream. I figured root beer floats are a thing, so why not beer beer floats? It wasn’t half bad, but I’ve never tried it again.

But it sounds so delicious.

Try Guinness with cake and ice cream. I have one most years on/near St Patrick’s Day, it’s really good.

Deschutes Obsidian Stout with french vanilla ice cream is to die for.

I make barbecue sauce out of it.

Just cook it down.

or thicken it up with a touch of corn starch.

Or both! :slight_smile: (If it’s a broth, it’s probably still way too dilute. I’d at least reduce it by half, taste it, and then see where we’re at.)

Yep, seemed like a good idea, didn’t it? Nope. Bad.

Imagining this is really making my stomach lurch.

When my brother and I were little, we’d wake up long before Mom, and sometimes created weird breakfasts. I remember Raisin Bran with Sweet-N-Low (gak!). Once we made a sandwich of olives and mayonnaise on white bread. Once.

That actually sounds really good to me.

Sounds like a first step toward an olive tapenade. Mmmmmmm

When I studied in the Soviet Union, some of my fellow students made up a drink called Chernobyl. It was a combo of off-brand local vodka, Soviet-equivalent Tang, locally bottled Pepsi, and blue curacao. It was a vile brownish-green radioactive color, thus the name.

One of my colleagues bought a snack pack of sushi for lunch - I bought a box of strawberries. He asked if I wanted the little sachet of wasabi. I find it hard to resist a flavour combination challenge like that.

Fresh strawberries with wasabi. Not entirely horrible, but not as nice as strawberries without wasabi, so I can’t endorse it.

I recently enjoyed a can of Tailgate Peanut Butter Stout with a big old slice of Betty Crocker chocolate cake - it was an incredible combo.

I used to make what I called “pizza paste-ons”, an open faced sandwich made by putting American cheese on white bread and topping it with ketchup and chopped up bologna. Then I’d put them in the toaster oven until it was all melted down.

Once, when I was about 8, my parents had several friends over for the weekend. I made and served these sandwiches to everyone for lunch one day. It was a great success.

As an adult, I am amazed at how nice my parent’s friends were.

Ive tried these sandwiches as an adult. They bring back memories but my taste buds have evolved.

It was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike that. :slight_smile:

What you really neede was some cream cheese and some pecans to add to it, which makes one of my favorite olive spreads.