Absolut Vlasic (not a thing, thank heaven). Confess your bad food/drink combos here

Back in my bachelor days, there were always some interesting combinations going on when the cupboards were bare. The more memorable ones…
Elbow macaroni and ketchup (bad)
Ramen noodles cooked in beer. (terrible)
Golden Grahams cereal and flat root beer. (not bad…but mind you I was really hungry that morning).
Tuna and ranch dressing (it worked but never repeated it)
I know there were more, most of them failures. It wasn’t that I was broke, I just hated going to the grocery store at that time in my life. I should also mention that all of these combos were made while sober.

I love an apple for a snack (now that I’m trying to lose weight, it’s sometimes lunch). But a lot of things I also love don’t pair well with it. I felt betrayed when Apple+Chocolate≠Heavenly Goodness. The apple just killed the chocolate flavor.

Same thing every time I mix limeade and cranberry juice. The flavors sort of cancel each other out.

Peanut butter/bean/Easy Cheese burrito-Protein From Hell.

I’m stuck on this. It sounds like you keep repeating the experiment?

Some folks eat this sandwich, “The Wendigo”, invented by Chuck Wendig: bacon, peanut butter, pickles, mayonnaise, sourdough. My brain won’t go there. Nope, nope, nope.

Back in college, while crashing at a lake condo, we were scrounging for anything to get drunk on that didn’t require a trip to the store. Since we were drunk.

We found: Kahlúa, Tequila, and very flat Mellow Yellow. These things, in any combination, made no good. We puked the night away.

I tried tuna made with mustard instead of mayo, but it wasn’t out of desperation.

The memory of the 2 day heartburn from that has erased the memory of the taste.:smiley:

Pickle juice is a big thing with kiddoes. At the concession stand I volunteer in we sell it by the hundreds in tiny solo cups. We also freeze it in tiny condiment cups. Pickle pops, if you will. It’s a crazy thing. Costs us zero (except for the little cups).

I figured, if Rum & Coke is good, 151 Rum and Jolt should be 4x as good.

I was mistaken.

I was also wide awake with a hangover at 2 am.

For what it’s worth, I once screwed up a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, and fixed it using pickle juice. Successfully, in fact.

Not drink related, but speaking of unlikely pickle combos, parts of the South Side of Chicago and nearby areas have a tradition of pickles with peppermint sticks in them.

They were… interesting.

What, you didn’t have water?

100x yes! Strawberries dipped in chocolate is like something from Satan’s colon.

Don’t leave us hangin’! What’s the full story?

My main attempts have all been about trying to take something I added too much salt to, to make it edible. I’ve never quite succeeded.

Oh, I forgot the koolaid pickles. You pour out the pickle juice (save it for pickle pops) and slice whole dills into spears. Make a 1/2 gallon of cherry koolaid fill the gallon jar with pickles, pour the koolaid in and chill. Kids love that shit. After working a shift you smell like sticky pink pickle juice. Nasty.

Oh Beck, no. That’s just wrong. :frowning:

A colleague on a business trip many years ago invented what he dubbed “the cheap screw”: a screwdriver made with low-budget vodka and Sunny Delite. Tasted as bad as it sounds.

I can tolerate the Sunny D, but there’s really nothing that can mask the taste of low-budget vodka. Shit is nasty. I remember being served a cocktail at some house party in college and I almost spit up my first gulp. I inquired as to what in the hell was in this thing, and it turned out to be some plastic bottle, store brand vodka. Just vile, vile stuff. I mean, you don’t have to splurge. A $15 bottle of vodka does just fine. But store brand and Wolfschmidt, Popov, etc. Good god.

I like the deconstructed screwdriver. Pour 3 shots of very cold vodka into a rocks glass. Drink it. Fill glass with OJ. Drink that.

I just figured this out last night (Yes, I’m embarrassed :o). My thinking was if it’s a fruity cocktail, no sense in wasting money on the good stuff, because you won’t be able to taste it. Boy was I wrong.
Never again!