Absolute best NATURAL peanut butter

Other than being salted or unsalted is there any difference? (Why would there be?)

A farm market near me blends honey into their freshly ground peanut butter. It is fantastic.

I’ve seen peanut grinders in more grocery stores these days where you can freshly grind your own peanut butter. Whole Foods has them, as do some of the local stores. One thing I like is that the oil doesn’t have time to float to the top like in jarred natural peanut butter. If you keep it in the fridge, you don’t have to stir it when you use it.

If you buy the jarred peanut butter, one tip is to store it upside down so the oil floats to the jar’s bottom. It’s easier to stir together when you open it back up since the oil isn’t sloshing over the sides.

Adams No-Stir Peanut Butter is what I keep in the pantry.

When you get your peanut butter fresh ground at the health food store it’s just crushed peanuts. It’s not really peanut butter; you can’t spread it.

I go through 3-4 one pound jars of peanut butter a week (what? Why are you looking at me like that?), so consider myself a bit of an aficionado.

Since I’ll only eat the ones with no sugar, and look for ones where the only ingredients are “peanuts, salt,” I can say there is indeed a difference in taste and stir-ability across the brands in this segment.

My go-to is Trader Joe’s orange label PB, as it combines good taste, excellent price, and good stir-ability.

Wegman’s red top one is my second choice (less stir-able than TJ’s), followed by Smuckers, store brands, and other regionals.

Some of the regionals are pretty good in taste and stir-ability, but 2x-3x the cost of TJ peanut butter.

For peanuts themselves, I’d recommend Sincerely Nuts brand blanched peanuts. Great taste, good size, and a decent price.

I actually pour out some of the oil before stirring to achieve my preferred consistency.

I’m no fan of the “syrup-like” consistency of TJ’s peanut butters.

There are differences. Some is what kind of peanuts they use. The Costco brand has very little flavor. Trader Joe’s has a few varieties. I like their crunchy with flax and chia seeds.

There used to be a guy at my local farmer’s market that sold specialty peanut butter. Besides the honey and maple, he had one with chili pepper. It was really good either plan or with jalapeno jelly.

You can make your own in a decent food processor. Salt to taste, pick your own peanuts.

If this is true at your health food store they need to get a better grinder.

Fresh ground has the advantage that you can, say, fill a gallon jar with peanut butter. It will separate eventually - if you’re going to keep it at room temperature and want to store upside-down for ease of stirring, make sure it’s in a jar with a good seal on the lid. I learned this the hard way.

I concur. The label “boasts” of using only valencia peanuts. Is that the reason? Is it unusual to use only valencia peanuts?

Funny enough, that’s the selling point for me, that’s what gives it the high stir-ability. :slight_smile:

But my use case is 99% putting it into shakes that are blended up anyways, so spreadability is less important to me than stir-ability.

The link goes to a website for Adams Natural peanut butter (which I am fond of) but there doesn’t appear to be a “no stir” version.

[I wonder why Adams even exists! Smuckers own brand of natural peanut butter is my favorite!]

To be clear, apparently Adams is made by Smuckers.

Scroll down.

Ah!

Natural as opposed to what? Are there artificial peanut butters?

We get Smuckers. It’s made of peanuts and nothing else. I don’t like the texture of the no stir kind.

This is my go-to as well.

Smuckers also sells “Laura Scudder” natural peanut butter. So that’s three brands (Smuckers, Adams and Laura Scudder). I guess it’s like how P&G sells different brands of laundry detergent, although at least with detergent, they’re marketed differently. I don’t see how the different brands of peanut butter are marketed differently.