Absurd things you've seen lately

One more. I was behind a pickup truck towing a trailer with the logo of the “Ninja Lawn Service.” Had a sudden image of John Belushi (tho he portrayed a samurai of course) using his sword to neatly trim a lawn…

I wish I had taken a picture.

I was walking home from work around 3:30am, Sunday morning. There was a very new-looking walker (the cheap plain aluminum kind) bike locked to a street sign, on a corner, outside a coffee shop. Not near a house or apartment building at all. everything surrounding that coffee shop is closed that time of night.

The walker had tennis balls impaled onto the bottom of the front two legs, a purple plastic horn screwed to the front bar, and silver/purple streamers inserted into the hand grips like a bicycle.

Locked with a very sturdy u-lock. To a street signpost.

Weird.

I was pulling out of a strip mall parking lot today, and had to hit the breaks quickly because a gray haired midget jumped in front of me and started walking across the street.

A while back, I was driving down a busy city street and saw someone leading a camel down the sidewalk on a leash.

Why, yes, I do live in Los Angeles, why do you ask?

I saw a lady walking down the street knitting.

I thought it was pretty neat, actually. :smiley:

Was the camel named Spot?

Yep, they’re actually pretty common as a decorating motif in houses of a certain age.

I used to love when I worked near Madison Square Garden and the circus would come to town. I don’t like circuses per se, but sometimes we would see the elephants being walked across the street into MSG. :slight_smile:

I welcome our new insect overlords.

Tuesday, when I stepped out of my apartment, three lizards fell on me. They immediately jumped off and skeedaddled.

When my wife and I went to visit her folks up north last month for Thanksgiving via train, when we arrived at Union Station, there was a homeless man sitting on the bench nearest the eastern front entrance with a three foot ornamental thing about a foot wide. It was a shiny gold colour, thin, possibly aluminum, with a large round hump in the middle that curved down at either end, then up and around into small curls, much like an old school hair style from the 50s or 60s. Think Omega or Ohm symbol with curlier ends. He was wearing it on his head, looking quite pleased with himself.

I want to live where you live!

Come to South Florida, then. And to be honest, they were probably anoles rather than lizards, per se.

While walking up to the Thai restaurant we were just about to eat at, my friend and I saw a cat dragging a dead pigeon into the kitchen door :eek:

Also, though not terribly recently, I saw a tiger with his head and paws hanging out of the passenger side window of a Volkswagen.

Just about 10 minutes ago, I drove pas a homeless-looking man having an animated conversation with a picture of Jesus’ hands outside a church.

Any chance there are homeless people who pass by that area regularly? The shoes may have been meant specifically for someone to pick them up. I donated a jacket to a homeless person that way once (left it right where they tended to hang out).

I was standing in the cafeteria in our building the other day, fixing my coffee, when I overheard one of the security guards talking with the counter help.

“I really like Spam & cheese in my omelets”

“Oh, I don’t like Spam!”

I completed my purchase, turned around, and walked trough the cafeteria singing “Spam, spam, spam, spam…”

I saw a house fly.

Which way was it headed?

At the high school I work at, the cool thing now is to tuck your pants into your shoes.

Tucking way too tight jeans into high top Converse sneakers is ABSURD!

Tucking sweat pants into Ugg boots is just absurdly sad.

And I’m talking about guys here… Guys in Butthole Vermont, not any major fashion center.

I work at Penn. Along Locust Walk I have seen this a couple of times with hawks and their prey. It is truly fascinating to see. A red tailed hawk comes down from the sky grabs a squirrel or a pigeon, lands and eats it. It usually evokes the same reaction from passersby. Everyone stands around in a bit of shock and then takes pics.

Years ago I volunteered at Schuylkill Wildlife Rehab in Roxborough. A number of the injured hawks that came to us came from less than rural habitats. One was found in the VA Hospital Parking Lot, another from Society Hill. The interesting thing was that we were supposed to release them back as close to where they were found as possible. We released the VA Hospital hawk in the cemetery next to the hospital, and the Society Hill one got released by the river.