Absurd things you've seen lately

It was the vacant lot on the north side of Walnut, catty-corner to the Square proper. Another witness posted some pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbessey/4069066319/

corkboard: At a guess, I’m thinking kmdafm pumps are “knock me down and fuck me” pumps. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure.

Saw a craptastic GMC pickup at a stoplight… with a full-sized Maserati logo on the tailgate where the “GMC” would normally be.

A couple of days ago, while I was out driving, I ended up behind a semi. Tucked behind the license plate was a steak knife.

Why a steak knife? Why there? I can see a trucker needing a knife, but wouldn’t he carry a pocket knife sort of knife? In his pocket? Not tucked behind his license plate? I’m trying to imagine a situation where he thought “instead of putting this back in the silverware drawer, I’m going to tuck it behind the license plate for the next time I need it. Yeah, that’s the ticket!”

Very strange.

Right behind the combination Asian Studies/Art Museum on my campus are a pair of giant inflatable breasts. Also, there is a giant inflatable jellyfish in front of the fitness center, and a giant inflatable squid in front of the art building. All in bright day-glo colors.

Oh college…

As a WAG, I’d say it was there for cutting plastic security seals on the back doors. They tend to get pulled tight and steak knives are ideal for the job, although they are not suitable for keeping in your pocket. I’d guess he got fed up having to walk back to the cab every time.

The other morning, just before dawn, I realized there were blue jay feathers on my patio. And on my front porch. And on the north and east sides of the house as well. They most definitely were NOT there the night before - so what nocturnal animal kills a blue jay and then crawls on my roof to eat it? (I have no trees or bushes anywhere near the house, and really no way up) Or, how would an owl catch a blue jay? Was a blue jay sleep-flying?

I saw just the opposite this summer: 80-plus degrees, and groups of teenage boys would hang out in the mall parking lot in long pants (baggy, of course), boots, overcoats, and wool caps. All black (the clothing, not the boys) in the summer sun.

I hate to imagine what those guys smelled like at the end of the day.

I saw a girl on the train this morning with a warm jacket, a winter scarf, a hat, corduroy slacks and flip flops. She didn’t get on at the airport and wasn’t going to the airport.

She had the oogliest toes I’ve seen in a long time with chipped nail polish and ashy feet.

Ugh.

This was a few months ago, but whatever…

I was driving west on I-66 in Arlington, and at the moment I was approaching a pedestrian overpass, a guy crossed the overpass running backwards. I know he was just doing that thing some runners do, but damn if it wasn’t a weird sight at that moment.

Can we include tactile sensations? Because a praying mantis attempting to scale Mt. Malleus by climbing up my ear is a pretty weird feeling.

Here in NYC the weather has been sort of cool in the high 50’s or low 60’s every day for at least the last week. I have lost count of the people I’ve seen running around in parkas with gloves, hats, and scarves like they are marching into the tundra.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac for 2010, in their annual 'Tastes and Trends" article, page 18: “Single Purpose or one-season items are out: Summer fabrics and colors are suitable for winter wear.” (Same brainiacs predict, every year, that self-cleaning houses will be all the rage.)

A lady on the train had the most absurd ringtone that broke the silent commute one morning. It was a man chanting over and over: “Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiiiiie!”

To make sure you weren’t a robocaller? But still odd.

Knock Me Down and Fuck Me pumps.

I think that would be David Cross from an episode of Just Shoot
Me!. He played Elliot’s supposedly brain damaged brother.

I had a very similar and absurd thing happen with regard to my Citibank card. Something fairly serious beyond my control happened to my checking account, and I had to quickly close it and open a new one. Unfortunately, my Citibank payment for the same month came out of that old account, and therefore was rejected. Citibank called me, I explained the situation to them and gave them the new account number, and I thought everything was fine. So the next month (this month) I go online to make my monthly payment, and I was told I could not pay! So I called them to pay it over the phone, and I could not pay that way, either! I was extremely exasperated and told the customer service rep that I was sitting there, payment in hand, ready to pay, and they would not let me. They also told me that my account had been suspended for 60 days, which was quite a surprise–I had no idea about that until then.

I don’t understand why a company would reject payment on money I owe them, except that they, of course, can charge more interest that way, as well as a late fee. I sent them a check and enclosed a letter explaining the situation and expressing my dissatisfaction . . . we’ll see . . .

[quote=“ryobserver, post:21, topic:516822”]

It was the vacant lot on the north side of Walnut, catty-corner to the Square proper. Another witness posted some pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonbessey/4069066319/

Oh yeah. Where the movie theater used to be. I think it burned down in '94 or so? I wonder why nobody has built anything on that lot.

This isn’t that absurd, but the same black and orange beetle keeps coming back to climb up the quilt I’m working on. It’s not like it’s a mammal that wants to be near warmth and potential petter, why does it keep coming back to me?

Hey… I just recently found a weird black & orange beetle in my bathroom… IT’S A CONSPIRACY!!1!